Cletrac.org
August 13, 2022, 04:11:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 8/27/14 - I just doubled the allowable attachment size to 900 KB and upped the attachment folder size. You can make your attachments bigger and easier to view now. We have much more space available than we used to.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who put the S in BGS?  (Read 4450 times)
Roger Amato
« on: March 15, 2005, 09:52:15 PM »

This has probably been talked about before here, but I'm new. I heard that the S in the Model BGS stood for "Studebaker", since they made the engines? for some BGs.  This true?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Roger Amato » Logged
John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 12:44:50 PM »

Quote from: "Roger Amato"
This has probably been talked about before here, but I'm new. I heard that the S in the Model BGS stood for "Studebaker", since they made the engines? for some BGs.  This true?

The 'S' suffix does mean Studebaker, as some of the Hercules JXD engines were contracted out and built by Studebaker.

There is also an 'H' suffix for some of the Cletracs (BG included) which stands for Hillside or wide gauge for stability.

Thus, a BGHS would be a Model B Gas engine Hillside model with a Studabaker built Hercules engine.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John D » Logged

John D
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
John Schwiebert
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 07:29:04 PM »

That is not 100% true. It definately is not true for a late BGS.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John Schwiebert » Logged

John Schwiebert
RLH
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 10:21:31 PM »

What is wider on the hillside models? The tracks?
Randy
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by RLH » Logged
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 12:20:13 AM »

Quote from: "RLH"
What is wider on the hillside models? The tracks?
Randy

The gauge of the tracks - center to center.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
Ray
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
BGS
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 09:27:17 AM »

I have never seen or heard any concrete evidence that Studabaker had anything to do with Hercules or Cletrac.

Does anyone know where that came from or was it just hear-say?
Maybe someone has some documents that they could share with us.

I was always told that the "S" in BGS stood for Special as the later BG had updates to the engine and electrical part of it.
We even have a thin manual from Oliver that shows all the changes made to the BG to call it a BGS.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Ray » Logged

My comments are not meant to discourage other members from posting, I encourage everyone to voice their opinion.
VENDOR: Zimmerman Oliver-Cletrac
Parts for Oliver and Cletrac Crawlers is our specialty.
www.olivercletrac.com
John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 10:25:13 AM »

Quote from: "Ray"
I have never seen or heard any concrete evidence that Studabaker had anything to do with Hercules or Cletrac.

I was always told that the "S" in BGS stood for Special as the later BG had updates to the engine and electrical part of it.
We even have a thin manual from Oliver that shows all the changes made to the BG to call it a BGS.

Thanks Ray - I only repeated what I had seen published earlier on this subject by people I believed knew the facts.  This is good dialog - can anyone provide the facts?

I think your information that 'S' means Special makes much more sense than creating a separate model designation to reference a licensed sub-contracting manufacturer of an otherwise identical engine.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John D » Logged

John D
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 11:28:17 AM »

Quote from: "Ray"

Yes it is true Ray. They had Studebaker make engines to the Hercules specifications when Hercules could either not keep up to production, or they had other commitments for their engine. There were slight variations between the Hercules JXC and the Studebaker-built engine.

The information is from Howard van Driest, Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. I don't know if I have anything in writing about this. I don't know if the customer was even supposed to be aware there was a difference in the engines.

Blake
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 08:49:49 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
John Schwiebert
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 08:10:00 PM »

Ray: how much for a photocopy of that thin book?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John Schwiebert » Logged

John Schwiebert
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: