Cletrac.org
August 13, 2022, 04:28:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wishing you folks all a very Merry Christmas! From Blake Malkamaki and Cletrac.org.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Owner of an OC46  (Read 7247 times)
C Tucker NW IL
« on: June 18, 2005, 12:40:02 AM »

I just got " Scoopy" home today. He's a OC-46-3G,with serial number 6WR-096-ST. Is there a list of serial #'s anywhere on the web? Or could someone tell me what I have. The guy I bought it from said it had a side boom on it when his Dad got it.That was removed and a loader was added. I took the loader off to allow better acess to the engine since it is stuck and will need some TLC. :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by C Tucker NW IL » Logged
John Schwiebert
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 08:16:28 PM »

Well it is a 1960 tractor. It was still built in the Cleveland plant. OC-46 means it was built as a loader tractor. A regular tractor would be an OC-4. It has the "Spot Turn " steering system. It has clutches to steer. It turns in a smaller area than the planetary steer models. Oliver was purchased by White Motor in late 1960 and crawler production in the Cleveland plant was discontinued in 1961. OC-4 models were then again made in Charles City Iowa where the wheel tractors were built but in a seperate building. Engine is a 3 cylinder 130 cubic inch Hercules, However there are several variations of this engine. Questions?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John Schwiebert » Logged

John Schwiebert
C Tucker NW IL
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 08:02:41 AM »

Thanks John, Now the questions seem to have just started, This unit has an auxillary trans. It doesn't have a shifter so I didn't know this until I pulled the right side platform. Is there any way to tell if it's a slow low or reversing without actually shifting it?Saturday I put new points  in,cleaned and gapped the plugs, pulled the hyd pump,added a small gas tank ,and hooked the coil up to a battery. It popped within 10 feet and ran for a few minutes . It needs some gages ,starter work and carb work,but when I had it running it wouldn't turn left. It semms like the right side track is not driving. Is there something in the spot turn steering that could cause this? How hard are the cluthes to replace? The bolts to the sprocket are tight(previous owner said they sheared these off once). I bought another chasis with this tractor. It has good tracks,sprockts,differential and transmission.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by C Tucker NW IL » Logged
Ray
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 07:37:20 AM »

Hello,
The driving problem could be in your final drive or in the steering clutches (spot-turn) Take the back cover off and check for anything loose, even though you can not always tell by just looking at it.
The only real way to check the final drive is to open it, there might be some bearings gone or gears with teeth missing.
Your question about the clutches being hard to replace, They are not too hard to replace, but both final drives have to be taken off to remove the spot-turn unit to work on it. It can be quite a job ( also expensive ) If you have a good differential you could rebuild your transmission with the differential in it.
You would sacrifice the tighter turning radius if you went from a spot-turn to a differential, but on the plus side you would have power the both tracks when turning which you don't have with the spot-turn steering.
Good luck
Ray Z.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Ray » Logged

My comments are not meant to discourage other members from posting, I encourage everyone to voice their opinion.
VENDOR: Zimmerman Oliver-Cletrac
Parts for Oliver and Cletrac Crawlers is our specialty.
www.olivercletrac.com
mleves
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 02:12:58 PM »

from another oc4 owner, there is a specs page

http://http://curiouswebs.com/myoliver/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by mleves » Logged
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 03:39:21 PM »

We also have the brochure with specs http://http://www.cletrac.org/pages/bro-OC-4.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 03:50:22 PM »

Quote from: "mleves"
from another oc4 owner, there is a specs page

http://http://curiouswebs.com/myoliver/

Actually he took his brochure page from this site. He cleaned up the pictures a bit, but I can tell. That's fine.

Blake
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
mjsoliver
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 01:19:51 PM »

Hi Blake--Can you repost the link that you referred to in this thread, about OC4(6) specs?  Right now I need engine specs (bolt torque, valve specs, ignition specs and the like.  When I click the existing links in the old thread it comes back "webpage is not available."  Many thanks!!  Mike Sprauer.

mjsoliver
Lowspeedlife
phpBB Jobsite Boss

Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 03:38:37 PM »

Try looking on the main "cletrac.org" page, that's the yellow page, then go down to where it says "manuals & literature" half way down that page is, I think, what you may be looking for.

Scott R

Proud poppa of an OC3 !
1941 HG 42 all original
1949 HG 68
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 08:22:23 PM »

Did this help you Mike? Direct link is http://cletrac.org/pages/bro-OC-4.html

Blake

Try looking on the main "cletrac.org" page, that's the yellow page, then go down to where it says "manuals & literature" half way down that page is, I think, what you may be looking for.

Scott R

mjsoliver
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 08:12:11 AM »

Yes I finally found what I needed.  Thanks to both Blake and Lowspeed!  I was having trouble because the main page wasn't easy to locate until I knew for sure it was there, then a little looking got me there. Thanks again!

mjsoliver
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: