Cletrac.org
August 13, 2022, 03:58:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 11/28/12 - Added a Calendar where members can post and view upcoming events, shows, etc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP!!!! 1941 Cletrac-Class Project  (Read 3316 times)
Josh33
« on: October 19, 2005, 08:35:37 PM »

Hi,

My name is Josh and i am currently taking an Engine srv. class at my high school in south western pennsylvnia. Our teacher has brought in an old, what we beileve to be a 1941 Cletrac.Its is a crawler and we think the engine(4 Cyl.) was made by hercules. Me and a few other students are in charge of the engine and we were wondering if there is any diagrams ou there that have all the parts, gaskets, assembly order, etc. out there to make this project easier. The tractor is in bad shape and any links, stores in the pittsburgh area, pictures or any help of that sort whould be very appriciated.

Thanks
Josh
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Josh33 » Logged
Ray
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 10:32:08 AM »

josh33,

Check our website at the link below and give me a call, i will try to help out with descriptions and parts.

Ray
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Ray » Logged

My comments are not meant to discourage other members from posting, I encourage everyone to voice their opinion.
VENDOR: Zimmerman Oliver-Cletrac
Parts for Oliver and Cletrac Crawlers is our specialty.
www.olivercletrac.com
Josh33
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 06:14:53 PM »

Heya,

Im reading through the manual that we got and the pictures in it are not the best and in the bearings section and connecting rods section there is alot about the shims does anyon have a picture of what they look like or can some one tell me what they are and used for?

thanks
Josh
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Josh33 » Logged
RAB
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 08:00:40 AM »

Josh 33,
Those shims are for shimming up the correct bearing clearances.
They will be the same shape as the con rod and big end cap faces (plus most of the bearing thickness) and will originally come as a basic 'shim pack' of a certain thickness containing several different thickness shims).  Shims are removed as bearings become worn (or at least as clearances increase, but journals/crankpins still remaining within ovality specs), or maybe added for clearance when new bearings were scraped in.
Hope this helps.  You will, of course, know that these old engines did not just have thin walled bearing shells fitted as do modern engines.  They were built to run slow and be very tolerant of misuse/abuse, and bearing technology, although good, was of using much more bearing material than the bare minimum (cost) as they do these days.
Regards, RAB
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by RAB » Logged
CaterpillarSixty
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 02:03:17 AM »

josh, i have a quite a few manuals laying around. if you can get some more information about the crawler i will help with whatever i can.
Eric
caterpillarsixty@msn.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by CaterpillarSixty » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: