Cletrac.org
May 22, 2019, 12:40:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 8/27/14 - I just doubled the allowable attachment size to 900 KB and upped the attachment folder size. You can make your attachments bigger and easier to view now. We have much more space available than we used to.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picture Library--Blake  (Read 3314 times)
thecatskinner
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« on: October 22, 2002, 08:04:45 AM »

Blake, in another thread (HG) we are discussing "original" and what that might be.  Would it be possible to start a section of detailed pictures as reference documentation of details for what was original and what was not.  It would be good if along with the photos there was an area for others to comment regarding the authenticity of these things.

Then again, maybe I'm just over doing it because of my AACA "adventures".
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by thecatskinner » Logged
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2002, 06:53:48 AM »

Well maybe someday we can do something like that. Not really exactly sure what you mean though.

The problem, as we've seen in recent discussions, is no one really knows for sure what is original and what isn't. Things changed so often as these tractors progressed, it's hard to know what is correct.

Anyone who has suggestions on this, please let me know. I just don't want to start a feud over the perfection of restorations. Or whether one person is wrong for doing it this way or that. Many of these tractors are still working machines, some are shown for fun, and a few are probably shown in a judged show where "perfection" is a goal.

Have fun!:D

Blake
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
thecatskinner
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2002, 09:36:21 AM »

I have a 1922 Packard, which happens to me the only one of its type known.   Trying to restore it faithfully was at best a “challenge” since so little is available to use as reference.  That can get really frustrating when I go to a show and have it judged by people that know far less than I do and yet seem quiet willing to decide this or that is not correct.  I have NO interest in getting into that kind of thing with the tractors, and in fact is the reason I am drawn to restoring and showing my HG.  

Now, that said, and keeping in mind that I am not trying to be a purest I am suggesting that a photo reference library could be of benefit to members that are trying to do a correct restoration or simply a repair.  As an example Eric just posted a picture of his gage panel on his OC.  He has the same panel as I do, but where I have a blanked hole he has a key switch—I now know what the hole was for.  Some (and maybe all) HG/OC apparently had a ground switch in the starter switch enclosure—I didn’t remember that (from 50 years ago) and my enclosure is gone completely.

It would also give people an opportunity to comment about variations they may have or have seen.

As we go along we are getting more and more pictures up within the threads; they would be far easier to access as time goes on if they were in a separate section.

Just for giggles—here is a picture of my Packard 126 Sedan.
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2002, 12:13:27 PM »

Hey... your license plate is on inside out!!:o Very nice car!

I do need to update the photo album - I'll try to get to it soon.

If you have detailed pictures of your tractor's parts that you would like to post to the album - I can upload them. Please provide precise details to help the restorer. And please be certain that the information is accurate for that model and year.

Maybe we can do something different down the road, but for now that's what the forum is for.

Blake
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
thecatskinner
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2002, 02:56:09 PM »

You are TOO observant sir---the steering wheel is on the wrong side as well--the picture is backward:o:(

What I was thinking is trying to get out to see Mr. Lutz sometime this winter and ask if I could take some detail pictures of his.  They are some beauties and I think done well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: