Cletrac.org
August 13, 2022, 03:30:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 8/27/14 - I just doubled the allowable attachment size to 900 KB and upped the attachment folder size. You can make your attachments bigger and easier to view now. We have much more space available than we used to.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OC3 questions  (Read 6314 times)
Alan Fannin
« on: December 28, 2005, 09:25:37 PM »

Hello, I recently joined your site. I have not yet posted but need a few questions answered. I bought what I think is a 1953 OC3. The number tag is gone so I can,t be sure. Just above the timing hole plug on the bell housing is a casting date of 1/7/53. It has a WARE loader with number 3-HI   49-2274. Don,t know if this is any help or not. It has a IXB3 engine with number 3570921TC on that tag. It will run but smokes bad. The compresson is #1- 104 #2 -91 #3-80 #4-92. I will more than likely do a ring and valve job. My big question is that I bought a reprint manual and noticed that the drive shaft is much longer than the one in my tractor. Also mine has what looks like some sort of gear reducer attached to the bell housing  then the short drive shaft.. It has a small lever on the side but I can,t move it. Can you tell me anything about this?? All info would be very helpful..I can send some pictures if you would like.  Thanks, Alan Fannin

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Alan Fannin » Logged
John Schwiebert
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 09:42:21 PM »

You are luckey. You have the auxilary transmission, some would kill for that. Send me a U. S. mail address and I will send you some stuff in about a week. I am also in Ohio, the flat part of the state.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John Schwiebert » Logged

John Schwiebert
mtncrawler
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 12:39:14 AM »

John, the picture looks different than the reduction transmission in my OC-3. Do you know was there ever a one speed reducer offered with the loader option in the latest years?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by mtncrawler » Logged
Alan Fannin
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 09:57:42 AM »

I got the engine andgear reducer out/ It seems to only be a one speed . The change lever is in or out to make the change. My engine is IXB3 and the pistons have .030 marked on top. Will I be able to find rings for this piston??

Editor: you have to put the img tag at the beginning and the /img tag at the end  of the image string.[/img]
John Schwiebert
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 12:25:45 PM »

What are the widths of all the piston ring grooves. Oil rings especially were made in more than one width. What are you going to do with the tractor? Why do I ask, If you are going to work it you should consider a chrome ring set, if this is a show or play tractor you do not want chrome rings unless you can work it to seat them quickly. Questions?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John Schwiebert » Logged

John Schwiebert
Alan Fannin
OC3
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 02:52:04 PM »

John, Not really planing on working it to hard, just a toy on a hobby farm. I don't have the pistons out yet, need a ridge reamer, should have one in a day or two then I will pull the pistons. The local parts store has numbers in his book for .030 rings and a gasket over haul kit, he is checking on price and are they avaliable.It was really oily on tops of all four pistons and in the intake valve area. I would like to replace the valves and the guides. Do you thinks the worn guides could be part of the oil at the intake or mostly Ring wear? Thanks
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 04:55:36 PM »

Quote from: "Alan Fannin"
Will I be able to find rings for this piston??

Niagara Piston Ring in Corry, Pa will make rings for anything - sometimes cheaper than NAPA. I had them make me two rings for my Rumely steam engine and they were $15 each. 10.25" diameter and 3/4" wide with a step groove. This was several years ago.

Blake
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
Alan Fannin
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 06:29:11 PM »

Thanks for clearing up my picture posting. I hope it is ok to put them on with a post. I visit an old iron page for Hit-Miss gas engines which I collect and I find that a lot of those folks post pictures so I had to learn how to do it. I think I have it down now. Another question, My OC3 uses one U joint ,it has C type clips that hold the cups in place, anybody sell this joint.?
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 07:06:44 PM »

Quote from: "Alan Fannin"
I hope it is ok to put them on with a post.

Sure, it's fine to post them. I encourage it! Try to keep them small enough to fit on the screen. Some folks post pics that go plumb off the page and over a few acres.

Blake
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
wolcott@dmcom.net
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 09:51:59 PM »

Zimmerman probably has them
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by wolcott@dmcom.net » Logged
Ray
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 12:12:59 PM »

Hello,
That is an interesting gear reduction you have. Does it have any name or casting number?

As far as rings or any other parts, give us a call, we have most any part for your crawler.

Ray Z.
Click on my link below
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Ray » Logged

My comments are not meant to discourage other members from posting, I encourage everyone to voice their opinion.
VENDOR: Zimmerman Oliver-Cletrac
Parts for Oliver and Cletrac Crawlers is our specialty.
www.olivercletrac.com
Alan Fannin
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 08:10:13 PM »

Hi Ray, I have been busy and not had a chance to check this board. The gear reducer has no name on it, only a number that looks to be hand stamped. WA-B-252. It is located on a flat spot. I pulled the engine down and after getting the pistons out found them to be .030 over size with .020 under rod bearings. I was able to get rings , bearings and the full gasket set thru a local parts jobber. I would like to replace the head bolts but he was unsure about finding them. I also need the u-joint for my drive line. It is only the two yolks with a u-joint between. The cups are close to being 15/16" and about 3 5/8 " across. Is this joint and the head bolts avaliable?Can you be any help?  Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: