Cletrac.org
August 04, 2020, 06:38:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wishing you folks all a very Merry Christmas! From Blake Malkamaki and Cletrac.org.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Track Question  (Read 17073 times)
blkgld
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2009, 08:55:06 PM »

They are charging 8000 for a set of Weasel tracks according to the write on the website. I have not called them yet to see how much or how hard to make tracks. I'll keep you posted.

Mark
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by blkgld » Logged

Mark
pmarriott
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 04:22:10 PM »

Hi all

Have tonight been beaving away in the garage on one of my broken tracks. Each track has 24 steel cables in it, 12 on each side. They appear to be 1/4" diameter(will confirm at the weekend when I carry on cutting). I am unable to confirm whether the steel cables are solid or a braided wire rope( to confirm).

Interestingly I thought the steel cables would be permantently clamped to the steel cross members, but it would seem all that clamps these steel cable between the two cast steel plates is the main center bolt that holds on the guide plate and possible the outer bolts that hold the pad on(again will confirm later and put link to some photos).

If these two cast clamping plates could be re-cast at a reasonable cost then I think it is going to be possible to get new track bands made. Looking at the state of mine there would be no point reusing the old ones.

We could use our old track guides as they are removable. If they were worn then a new set is easy to come by as I believe the WWII halftrack uses the same ones(could confirm when I visit my mates halftrack).

The next issue would be track pads. These were a steel plate with bolts passed through and then a rubber pad vulcanized to the surface. Again a new CNC'd plate with welded bolts and new rubbber vulcanized on.

I guess the center bolt is standard and easily sourced for holding the track guide on.

Anyway will post photos etc when I have more info.

Regards

Paul

Cool  8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by pmarriott » Logged
Ol Paint
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 05:32:14 PM »

The track pads/grousers should be rebuildable if the plate isn't too badly worn, possibly using castable polyurethane.  I think the M3/M5 Stuart guys have had some success rebuilding their track pads this way.  Here's one article:  http://www.robertsarmory.com/track.htm

I think one of the guys at 14th Armored Re-Creations refurbishes Stuart tank tracks, as well--or they got someone else to do it for them.  I'll e-mail them.

Douglas
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Ol Paint » Logged
blkgld
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2009, 07:40:34 PM »

Quote from: "pmarriott"
Hi all

Have tonight been beaving away in the garage on one of my broken tracks. Each track has 24 steel cables in it, 12 on each side. They appear to be 1/4" diameter(will confirm at the weekend when I carry on cutting). I am unable to confirm whether the steel cables are solid or a braided wire rope( to confirm).

Interestingly I thought the steel cables would be permantently clamped to the steel cross members, but it would seem all that clamps these steel cable between the two cast steel plates is the main center bolt that holds on the guide plate and possible the outer bolts that hold the pad on(again will confirm later and put link to some photos).

If these two cast clamping plates could be re-cast at a reasonable cost then I think it is going to be possible to get new track bands made. Looking at the state of mine there would be no point reusing the old ones.

We could use our old track guides as they are removable. If they were worn then a new set is easy to come by as I believe the WWII halftrack uses the same ones(could confirm when I visit my mates halftrack).

The next issue would be track pads. These were a steel plate with bolts passed through and then a rubber pad vulcanized to the surface. Again a new CNC'd plate with welded bolts and new rubbber vulcanized on.

I guess the center bolt is standard and easily sourced for holding the track guide on.

Anyway will post photos etc when I have more info.

Regards

Paul

Cool  8)
The cables are braided then incased in rubber. the cross members are use just to hold the cables in place. I have some pics of a broken track and will post them as soon as I figure out how.

Paul good observation on the guides. By the way halftrack tracks are the exact same,just 64" shorter.

Mark
blkgld
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009, 08:28:36 PM »

Here are the pics.

Mark
waayfast
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 02:38:27 AM »

Thanks ol'paint for the link and to paul for the pics---looks as if we might have hope yet for our toys!
   Seeing the broke track laid out reminded me of my Dad driving our MG-1 when I was a young boy(I could not see over the top of the track while on the ground next to the machine!)
   It was winter and as the track pads "spread open" as they rounded the leading roadwheel the snow got pinched in between them as the track "leveled out" once the track contacted the road surface.The result was that the track got tighter and tighter until the machine would NOT go ahead anymore. Imagine the tension!!
  Looking back I can't believe we didn't break one then--- and now 40 years of deterioration later I don't know about anyone else but maybe operating in snow might be avoided--no sense in tempting fate with the old tracks til new can be had.
             Jim
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by waayfast » Logged

Bite off more than you can chew--then chew like h!#*
do-gmc
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 04:01:03 PM »

I would also like a copy of the pdf file if you are able to send it.  I am still trying to locate information on the tracks from BFG/Michelin.  I work for them and am currently running into dead ends.  Will update as soon as I know something.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by do-gmc » Logged
do-gmc
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 04:03:19 PM »

Does anyone have any of the metal guides that run down the center of the track?  I have several that are damaged and need to be replaced on one track.
pmarriott
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2009, 04:29:04 PM »

Hi all

Have just finished taking apart a track cross member will blast the bits tommorrow night to get rid of the rust and then post a few pictures of exactly what is inside a track for all to see.

It is to say the least very basic and with modern methods it should be easy to reproduce 70 year old engineering!!!

Speak to Gary about the guides as they are the same as halftrack ones. Website is www.halftracks.com he is bound to have some.

Anyone know how much a copy of the maintenance manual is from Zimmerman?Huh?

Regards

Paul
 8)
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 04:32:42 PM »

Quote from: "waayfast"
It was winter and as the track pads "spread open" as they rounded the leading roadwheel the snow got pinched in between them as the track "leveled out" once the track contacted the road surface.The result was that the track got tighter and tighter until the machine would NOT go ahead anymore. Imagine the tension!!
  Looking back I can't believe we didn't break one then--- and now 40 years of deterioration later I don't know about anyone else but maybe operating in snow might be avoided--no sense in tempting fate with the old tracks til new can be had.
             Jim

I think I have pictures somewhere of my grandfather - Howard van Driest - testing MG-1s  in 9-foot deep snow in Presque Isle, Maine.

Blake
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
Ol Paint
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2009, 07:37:50 PM »

do-gmc,

You should be able to download the PDFs of the patents by clicking on the links in my post from Monday at 5:51pm.  If clicking directly doesn't work, try right-clicking and "save as."

Paul,

I think Zimmerman charged around $30 or $40 for the maintenance manual, but I don't remember.

Douglas
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Ol Paint » Logged
blkgld
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2009, 07:51:43 PM »

The manual I found from Jensales was 56.00. Sorry I still have not contacted Carrolltech yet, will try tomorrow.

Mark
pmarriott
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2009, 03:44:18 PM »

Dumb question I guess but how do you post pictures in the thread. Do I have to upload photo's first to say Webshots and then link too them?Huh
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 04:57:02 PM »

Quote from: "pmarriott"
Dumb question I guess but how do you post pictures in the thread. Do I have to upload photo's first to say Webshots and then link too them?Huh

Yes is the simple answer. Please make sure they are no more than about 800 pixels wide. Then, when you post your reply, use the image button in front of and in back of your link to your photo.

Hope that is a good explanation. Sometimes I have to do it a couple times to get it just right/

Blake
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
do-gmc
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2009, 07:50:42 PM »

Thanks for posting the links to the drawings.  

I have run into dead ends within BFG.  The tacks were made at the Akron, OH plant which has been long closed.  The story I have is that the technical drawing and molds are no longer in existence.  I will keep checking.

These tracks are very similar in construction to steel cable type conveyor belting.  I have numerous contact with belting suppliers and see what leads I come up with.  Maybe they have molds already in existence that can be used to vulcanize the tracks.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: