Cletrac.org
September 22, 2019, 09:47:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 11/28/12 - Added a Calendar where members can post and view upcoming events, shows, etc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 80 MG1's driven to Alaska  (Read 2083 times)
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2008, 11:20:36 AM »

I'm just throwing this in because you guys are discussing how many MG1's are around.

After the Alaskan Highway was finished during WW 2, about 80 MG1s were driven to Alaska. I don't know what became of them, but I'm sure our government would not have bothered to return them to the lower 48, so, unless they were cut up, they are probably still there somewhere.

I doubt they were cut up after the war because of the distance from steel mills, scrap was probably not worth much up there.

So this might be a good place to hunt. Perhaps drive up the Alaska highway and stop at every small town along the way and ask the old timers and check out the junk yards. This will be a fun trip! Maybe make it a group effort for this site.

Blake
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
R. Wilkie
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 07:59:47 AM »

Blake
         Thanks for the information, I guess I should have started a new topic with that question, instead of getting the other off track so to speak :oops: I had seen photos of some in the Aleutian Islands (spelling) ? I would bet that they never came back either. I'm currently in the process of restoring mine for the second time. the ol girl was starting too show her age again. I have to say that the more I fool with it ,the more I like it.

Roger
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by R. Wilkie » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: