Cletrac.org
June 26, 2022, 01:26:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wishing you folks all a very Merry Christmas! From Blake Malkamaki and Cletrac.org.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hercules IXF engine  (Read 5894 times)
Kirk-NJ
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2008, 05:48:04 AM »

I have the opportunity to pick up a hercules IXF (4cyl- 2 3/4 x 4)completely rebuilt engine for the price of scrap. I would like to know if it would fit any of the cletracs/oliver models? I was told it may have come out of a silver king tractor.
I have a cletrac EG model with the 4cyl hercules ooc engine that is stuck. I would like to know if it would be possible to swap the engines?
Thanks, Kirk
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Kirk-NJ » Logged

Kirk-NJ
clueless
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 06:31:05 PM »

I can't help you on the question of if it would fit into your EG...on the swapping question:
My book shows the OOC as an older engine (it's in a 1930 McCord catalog, but the IX's aren't) of 4x41/2, probably running at lower rpms than the newer and smaller IX's...the IXF may well develop as much or more power, but would the rpm and torque range match your gearing well enough for your purposes??
And, what I have on Cletrac, Oliver and Silver King shows IXA , IXB and IXK, but, so far at least, no IXF, altho my sources are far from complete. I have no idea if the IXK would be a drop-in fit for any of the A's, B's or K's.
I'll eyeball some catalogs to see if I can find what the IXF was used in; it may well be a good buy, but in my very limited experience it's not nearly as popular as the IXA's and B's. (I'm open to correction on all these points!).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by clueless » Logged

Nothing here is what it appears to be!
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:47:19 PM »

That engine would be much too small for any Cletrac. Not sure about it physically bolting up.

Blake
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
clueless
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 01:09:25 AM »

I haven't had much luck finding listings for the IXF; checking three gasket catalogs and a belt catalog (a mostly truck/bus Fitzgerald, a farm/ag Fitzgerald, a pretty general Fel-Pro and a fairly complete Gates (but spotty on Ag eqpmt) all I find are a couple of Case "combine-balers":
Model A (no yrs) came with Wisc VE4, VF4 and Herc IXF;
Model G (no yrs) came with Wisc VE4, VEH, Herc IX3 and IXF3  (both listings were in the 79 Fel-Pro).
Per the above it would appear the IXF's were used in ag equipment, and probably in other uses-const/ind'l eqpmt? welders? gensets?-not covered in my easily reviewed parts catalogs.
Perhaps some Herc enthusiast will recall and advise what IXF's were used in.
The OOC seems to've been fairly widely used, if you're considering resurrecting it, but I have no idea whether parts or whole engines are available at acceptable prices. Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by clueless » Logged

Nothing here is what it appears to be!
Kirk-NJ
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 04:31:04 AM »

I had seen that the IXA and IXB were use in the silver king but did not find anything about the IXF.
The guy told me his uncle had it rebuilt to use as a welder and than never used it. He has a buyer who was first in line from another state who was to mail him a check. We'll see if that happens. If not I may pick it up just to have around if I can find a way to get it into the barn without my wife seeing it.
Thanks for all the info.
Kirk
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Kirk-NJ » Logged

Kirk-NJ
John Schwiebert
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 07:21:33 AM »

A lot of parts from the IXF will fit the the other IX engines. One thing you did not mention: Cletrac and Oliver used all 3 geasr IX engines. Silver King used the 5 gear engines. Now on your stuck OOC. Remember when the OOC was dropped durring World War 2 because they were being used by the military the F-226  was used hence the new AG-6 crawler. I also somewhere arounf here have a bulletin that stated after that any requests for an OOC engine would be filled with the F-226. Once in a while at Ft Wyne show there is an EG that has a 226 as the engine. More questions?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John Schwiebert » Logged

John Schwiebert
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: