Cletrac.org
February 17, 2020, 01:29:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 11/28/12 - Added a Calendar where members can post and view upcoming events, shows, etc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone else replaced water pump ?  (Read 1646 times)
R. Wilkie
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:42:09 AM »

Hello
Was wondering if anyone else has had the joy of replacing the water pump on an MG1 ?? I have had a new one for mine for about four years now and finally got up the nerve to do the job last week. Although the manual didn't call for it ,I took the left front fender off for better access.that seem to work better for me being somewhat short and heavy.
this thing is not light by any means,the water pump, oil cooler and oil filters come off in one piece. also there a couple bolts  that are kinda fun to reach and one nut right behind the rear shaft of the pump. that was my favorite.I will say that it was easier to replace than it was to take off.

Roger
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by R. Wilkie » Logged
Ol Paint
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »

Well, not exactly...  I pulled the water pump from mine a while back, but that was after I had already removed the engine from the frame.  In my case, the engine was siezed and the chain coupling well-rusted, so I ended up having to chisel the chain apart (and pry it off) so the assembly could be pulled off the side.

Because my initial approach was to try to remove the unit without undoing the coupling first (by removing the oil filter/cooler housing before the pump), my favorite parts were the studs that held the assembly to the block--they stop you from removing the assembly by pulling out the distributor.  Had Hercules used bolts to secure the assembly, it would provide more options for removal.

I agree, the nut on the back side was fun, too.

Douglas
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Ol Paint » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: