Cletrac.org
November 20, 2019, 09:21:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 8/27/14 - I just doubled the allowable attachment size to 900 KB and upped the attachment folder size. You can make your attachments bigger and easier to view now. We have much more space available than we used to.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OC-46 Build Progress  (Read 22813 times)
Orangeman
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 05:42:06 AM »

Hotratz: Should be very proud of your work, very nice OC-46.

Do you know what the total weight of the machine is - with the loader attached, or rough guess? 

I would like to restore one for use here on the farm.

Thanks...Orangman  Wink

RP
hotratz
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 06:59:34 PM »

Hotratz: Should be very proud of your work, very nice OC-46.

Do you know what the total weight of the machine is - with the loader attached, or rough guess? 

I would like to restore one for use here on the farm.

Thanks...Orangman  Wink

My research indicates a total weight of around 7200 lbs.  Just heavy enough that I now need a bigger trailer and a newer truck to tow it anywhere safely.  Roll Eyes

Gazer61
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 08:29:39 PM »

Hotratz
I saw this loader on craigs list, it is advertised as an OC-3 but it looks alot like yours. Do you know if this would fit an OC-3?
http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/2101093744.html Huh

Dad
3/30/32 to 8/7/12
hotratz
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 10:57:11 PM »

No, this is a Ware 3-WI model loader assembly that was pretty much standard on the OC-3. The OC-4 came with a Ware model 46 loader assembly.

You can see the differences here

If you'll notice, the model 46 loader has an additional set of articulating links about 3/4ths up the lift arm that the top of the bucket cylinders attach to. This maintains the bucket at position when the lift arm is moved up and down.

Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, 01:17:26 AM »

If you'll notice, the model 46 loader has an additional set of articulating links about 3/4ths up the lift arm that the top of the bucket cylinders attach to. This maintains the bucket at position when the lift arm is moved up and down.

This was an Oliver/Cletrac invention that put their loaders WAY ahead of any competition. If you look at a Cat 977H you'll see some crazy loader linkage that surrounded the operator and made it very difficult to get on and off the tractor. As soon as the Oliver patents were available after they stopped building crawlers, Cat used the same bucket linkage on the 977K and later loaders. Most of the other manufacturers use it now as well.

Another advantage was lowering the bucket boom and linkage down to a lower position above the hood so it didn't interfere with operator visibility as much.

Blake

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
Gazer61
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2011, 02:56:38 PM »

Does anyone have an opinion of the value of this loader?  Is it worth the $550 that they are asking for it? I have an OC-3 with the older "stub" frame. Will  this loader work on the older frame?

Dad
3/30/32 to 8/7/12
chrisvdv
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2011, 04:04:21 PM »

The issue might not be the stub frame (although that will be put under considerable stress) but whether you have the industrial track supports. This loader was designed for industrial model OC3 crawlers. The front 3-WI loader frame attaches to the industrial-type track supports (see pic - triangular shaped and MUCH heavier built than earlier HG and non-industrial OC3)
Jethrow
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2011, 06:55:45 PM »

Gazer61,

Opions are free so here goes .............

As far as the value, it all depends on the condition of the parts, availability of remaining parts required to complete the project, and alternative solutions (e.g. swap).  Loaders can be infinitely usefull but make any engine work a PITA.  Probably why there are so many OC-3's with hacked up hoods.

What I don't see in the picture is the weight package, rear support brackets, hydraulic pump, pump mounting bracket, crankshaft attachment and any kind of grill guard.

I bought my Oliver OC3-42 sight unseen from a guy 600 miles away realizing it was going to require some work but that's what make it a hobby.

If you do decide to purchase, we're here to help.

Here's a pic of the Track Frame support:

Jethrow

1955 Oliver OC3-42 Ware 3Wi Loader and Aux Trans
Gazer61
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 09:19:49 AM »

I have a long term plan. I have an OC-3 that does not have a serial tag. Before I got it, someone put an older HG frame on it and welded a support around the bell housing cut out. Over time I have collected the newer "full" frame,final drive castings and the industrial track supports. After I get my Dads finished I plan on tearing this one down and upgrading the frame. This may be a few years down the road, so I wondered if I bought the loader now would it fit on the tractor as it sits. Maybe it will be best to wait until I actually have it rebuilt to look for a loader Undecided

this is the tractor before I bought it
Can I assume that the hydraulic pump from the Anderson dozer will work?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:44:57 AM by Gazer61 » Logged

Dad
3/30/32 to 8/7/12
Gazer61
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 09:29:10 AM »

Hotrats
Sorry for hijacking your thread. Embarrassed   I did want to mention what a great job you have done on your tractor, it is clearly show quality. When are you going to add some pictures to the photo album? 

Dad
3/30/32 to 8/7/12
chrisvdv
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »

My guess is the hydraulic pump will be a smaller one than normally used for the 3-WI loader. When you need one let me know: I have spares AND I have 2 whole spare 3-WIs too. One is in PA, the other in Upstate NY. Just an idea.
I'd do a straight swap for your blade set-up Huh
Gazer61
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 01:36:05 PM »

this may help answer  one of my earlier questions. What is one of these loaders worth? How much would you need to get for one of them? Huh
I will keep this in mind for when I really get to doing it.

Dad
3/30/32 to 8/7/12
chrisvdv
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2011, 05:21:10 PM »

About what the other guy is asking 'cept mine would come with EVERYTHING including, pump, rear weight box or slab weight(s)
I also have a 3-HI for sale...cheaper but under a snow pile right now  Angry
(sorry, I had to check out what that 'marquee' moving button did!)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: