Cletrac.org
June 30, 2022, 02:50:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wishing you folks all a very Merry Christmas! From Blake Malkamaki and Cletrac.org.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: proper term/ where to get "road pads"  (Read 9007 times)
440roadrunner
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:13:34 AM »

what is/ are the proper term  for rubber "road pads"  for tracked vehicles?    Where are some places to get them  or get material to make them?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 440roadrunner » Logged

You cannot break it if it's broken,  but....
You can fix it so it cannot be fixed!!
John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:37:27 PM »

Quote from: "440roadrunner"
what is/ are the proper term  for rubber "road pads"  for tracked vehicles?    Where are some places to get them  or get material to make them?

Great question!  I was just thinking about how to make wooden blocks for my AG-6 - it has ice grousers, and I don't want to tear up the concrete bridge when I move it this spring.  Of course, I could put down a couple of logs, but the bridge is inclined, and I really wouldn't want to slip off it into the ravine!

Someone in this group has to have made those pads.  Old rubber tires?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John D » Logged

John D
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:29:40 PM »

We made wooden blocks for the steel wheels on our 28-50 Hart Parr years ago. Luckily we only made 6 or 8 to try before wasting our time on more. They lasted for several minutes of driving around with no load. Not a good idea.

Blake
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
Bob
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 08:59:29 PM »

Maybe pieces of conveyor belting bolted to the tracks with no grousers. Or when you run over the road / concrete just lay long pieces of belting down and drive on it. I have ran dozers on our shop floor before with nothing and the small tractors don't do anything if you go slow and make gradual turns.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Bob » Logged

Certified Cletrac-tard
Crazy Matt
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 07:41:14 AM »

The military surplus warehouse in Idaho falls has a  bunch of rubber track pads.

hg 42 unknown year - soon to become a CAT Cheesy
440roadrunner
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 04:04:55 PM »

Quote from: "Crazy Matt"
The military surplus warehouse in Idaho falls has a  bunch of rubber track pads.

Can you tell me who they are?  Is this a retail surplus outfit,  or one of these deals where you have to bid on lots?   They have a web page?   (I'm a LONG way from Idaho Falls, up here in Coeur d Alene)

You cannot break it if it's broken,  but....
You can fix it so it cannot be fixed!!
79star
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 02:03:18 PM »

Could used tracks from a Cat Challenger be cut up to make road pads?  Any thoughts on this?

1947 DGH
John Schwiebert
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 01:17:02 PM »

Around here when these guys move these D-8 Cats that pull tile plows across a bridge or a road they throw down about a dozen used car tires and away they go.

John Schwiebert
Bob
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 02:40:31 PM »

If you just took the track grousers off and left the plate (most cletracs use a plate and shoe) it wouldn't hurt the road, maybe a little, but wouldn't have any traction. My BG has rubber pads on it. It looks as if they were molded around the shoe, then bolted on. I know Zimmermans sell bolt on blocks for HGs. Maybe they would have a source for making bigger ones for the bigger tractors. The only problem with that is it would be awful expensive.

Bob

Certified Cletrac-tard
LoggerLee
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 12:00:55 AM »

The guys like to use Trex on they're crawlers,lasts a lot longer than wood I hear.
Haven't tried it myself though

3DDH tractors,Allis Chalmers M crawler,T-20,BDH,2112 Simplicity and a GT30 Terratrac.
Bob
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »

"Call me for any track pad needs...we are the true manufacturer of our track pads right here in Warren, PA, USA!!!

If we haven't already made it we can!

1-800-289-1456 x 164"

I copy and pasted this info from the HCEA forum. I think the name is "Track Pads" but don't quote me on that. Might be worth a phone call

Certified Cletrac-tard
killdozer51
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »

a friend of mine went to a local industrial tire store that he dealt with and got some thick rubber from some old loader tires and old track pieces from mini escavators.  cut them the size he wanted, drilled holes in the rubber and mounted using two carriage bolts(cut the excess bolt off after they were tightened.  when you put them on it affects your  traction some.  we took them back off later because we were pulling logs and needed all the traction we could get! good luck

james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: