Cletrac.org
January 24, 2020, 08:28:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 8/27/14 - I just doubled the allowable attachment size to 900 KB and upped the attachment folder size. You can make your attachments bigger and easier to view now. We have much more space available than we used to.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interchangability of parts  (Read 2284 times)
pmarriott
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2009, 03:33:29 PM »

Hi all

Does anyone out there know whether early Cletrac parts and more importantly the chassis are interchangable with the later version. THe reason for this is my Cletrac is an early John Deere built one, 1DA206, and the two spare chassis and tranmissions that i have just bought have horizontal volute spring tensioners at the front and are therefore later models.

I am looking at using a late chassis with my early transmission and all other mechanical parts. I guess everything will fit my parts manual only covers the early models.

With these chassis are one good volute tensioner and two possibly broken ones as the thread is missing on the front. Can these be repaired Huh

Any info gratefully received. I would like to have an idea if this is possible before i part with the cash and transport them home.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by pmarriott » Logged
Ol Paint
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 08:39:31 PM »

I wish I could answer your question, Paul.  Looking at pictures of the different styles of idler, it looks like they should interchange.  

Where is the tensioner broken?  That'll be the determining factor as to whether it can be economically repaired and what the best repair method would be, I'd think.

Douglas
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Ol Paint » Logged
wanderingwillys
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:21:55 AM »

The pair I have has one of each style - I will take a look at the bolt pattern but from what I looked at already it appears as though the units would interchange between the simple screw style and the spring style...

1940 M2 AG     S/N 1X2072
1942 M2 MG-1 S/N 4JA836
1943 M2 MG-1 S/N 9JA422
wanderingwillys
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:56:14 AM »

Paul - Both idlers systems are interchangable - the later volute spring style shares the bolts with the road wheel volute spring in addition to the 4 bolts already used by the mechanical spring tensioner - these look like Acme threads so you should be able to get pre-made allthread from a machine supply company or anyone with a thread cutting lathe can make the part...

It all depends where and how it is broken as to the best way to splice into it - can you put up a picture of the damage?

Matt

1940 M2 AG     S/N 1X2072
1942 M2 MG-1 S/N 4JA836
1943 M2 MG-1 S/N 9JA422
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: