Cletrac.org
June 30, 2022, 01:55:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wishing you folks all a very Merry Christmas! From Blake Malkamaki and Cletrac.org.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cletrac Diff-steer.  (Read 38289 times)
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2003, 10:09:39 AM »

John, the company was called Cleveland Motor Plow Company until 1917 when it became the Cleveland Tractor Company. The term "Cletrac" came about in 1918. Rollin was designing tractors and other machines before he formed the company. He was also involved with his brothers White Motor Company and White Sewing Maching Company.

Yes Rollin designed the two cycle diesel engine. I am not sure about the Winton connection, but it could very well be true. I will ask my uncle if he remembers.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
Robert Barbour
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2003, 12:23:44 AM »

Well Blake I think you are the one that does not understand! The Cletrac uses a differential  that functions the same as  one in a car, but it also has a brake that has been added. This brake is geared from the pinions at a different ratio than the differential pinions to axles are.  When the brake is full on so that the drum stops the slow axle does not stop as you have said.  That arrangement limits the speed difference( that can be produced by the brake) between the axles and the turning radius of the tractor. It also makes the brakes more effective. However if you put a cletrac in a position such that one track was on solid ground and one on ice.  The one on the ice would spin just like a car.  If you looked into the Cletrac differential  while doing this the brake drum on the side that was stopped would be turning in reverse!! And again there ARE NO PLANETARY GEARS IN A CLETRAC!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Robert Barbour » Logged

Robert from Vancouver Island BC
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2003, 07:25:43 PM »

Robert you are wrong on this. The only Cletrac that uses a differential like one in a car is the General - which is a wheel tractor.

Someone needs to get you a copy of a drawing of what's in the steering brake drums. Yes - planetary gears! That is the whole concept of Controlled Differential Steering!

And I never said one track would stop completely.

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
Deas Plant
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2003, 04:25:48 AM »

Just found this one. You fellas might like to take a look at it:
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ca ... yahoo.com/
It has two schematics, one of a 60's Case 310 steering mechanism and the other of a 1933 Cletrac. Left click for the larger view.
You have a wonderful day.
Best wishes. Deas Plant.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by dplant8961 » Logged

You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.
Deas Plant
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2003, 04:27:57 AM »

Hi, Blake.
               Is it possible to post an active link with a post here? If so, how do we do it?
You have a wonderful day.
Best wishes. Deas Plant.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by dplant8961 » Logged

You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.
pvcarey
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2003, 07:48:10 AM »

Good Morning all, here is a scan of the parts brakdown on my oc-3, I see a plantery set not just spider gears like in a car. Hope that this is some help.
Ron
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by pvcarey » Logged
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2003, 09:29:08 AM »

Thanks for posting this Ron. I have not had time lately to look up a breakdown picture like that. Your's says it all.

Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2003, 11:32:30 AM »

Here is the picture from Deas Plant, showing how the Cletrac Controlled Differential Steering works.

Blake

Robert Barbour
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2003, 09:30:36 PM »

That is an excellent exploded view of the cletrac differential. I have a scanner on order and when I get it I will post a view of a planetary gear train so you can see the difference!!

pvcarey
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2003, 06:03:29 PM »

Robert,
  I look forward to see what you are calling a planetary gear train, the two pictures posted are what I have called planetary for the last 35 years or so, and the parts list that goes with the brakdown that I posted refers to the gears as planet gears, and planet pinions.
 Ron
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by pvcarey » Logged
Justin
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2003, 01:09:54 AM »

I just drove my W and i did research on the steering. All the brake bands do is hold the drum wich causes a gear reduction in the planetary wich only slows the speed of the one track which allows the tractor to turn.  A planetary only increases torque and has a speed reduction. This machine does not turn like a farm tractor it is much smoother.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Justin » Logged
TEDV
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2003, 08:29:27 PM »

I think Justin's description of operation is good, however, while the inside track is slowed by brake/planetary engagement, it also proportionatly speeds up the other track which is why this steering system is so smooth.  The amount of energy used by the brake is directly proportional to the ground friction being overcome while turning, minus the gearing advantage of the planetary set.  If the tractor were in a concrete channel, assuming perfect traction, locking one brake would stall the engine.  Note that locking both brakes while in gear does the same thing.  To be continued.  TEDV:):)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by TEDV » Logged
Robert Barbour
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2003, 08:52:49 PM »

I now have my scanner and once I work my way through the soft-ware I will post the material I have gathered the past few weeks.  I have a good discriprtion of the use of planetary gears in GM automatic transmissions, the planetary used in the Cat D5H, and the inter axle differiential used on some Rockwell rear axles. This is the same setup used in the Cletrac!

Also note what is written below the picture of the OC 3 drive posted by pvcarey(Differiential) not planetary!!

Robert Barbour
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2003, 12:13:05 AM »

Here is the first part on the Planetarys from the GM transmission book, I hope!!

Robert Barbour
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2003, 01:06:50 AM »

I re-sized the files so will try again!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: