Cletrac.org
September 22, 2019, 09:40:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wishing you folks all a very Merry Christmas! From Blake Malkamaki and Cletrac.org.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cletrac Find  (Read 2122 times)
oldtwuks
« on: September 07, 2009, 07:45:44 AM »

Hi, very new to Cletrac's I have found in Australia a Cletrac Medium MK2 dated 1942, one track and the radiatir are missing the remaing track is in poor condition. I have several military trucks that are restored but am looking for somthing a little different and have a few questions that I hope can be answered before I decide to drag the tractor home

Can you buy new tracks?
Can you buy drive train components?
What sort of money would you expect tp pay for an up and running unit

any advise appreciated
Ol Paint
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:00:17 PM »

At this time, there is no source for new tracks (See the "manufacturing tracks" thread on this forum).  You may be able to find some one with tracks for sale if you search around, but the construction of the tracks and their unique application (in terms of track pitch, width, and length) makes for an extremely limited market.

The best source for prices would be David Doyle's Standard Catalog of US Military Vehicles as this gives approximate valuations for various conditions.  The first edition of the catalog (by Thomas Berndt) gives more detailed information on specifications, but the pricing information is a bit dated since the book was published in the early '90s, as I recall.  Otherwise, searching out vehicles that have been auctioned off is another way to establish values.  There were only a little more than eighty-five hundred M2s built, and the fact that they do not share major running gear components with other vehicles makes finding parts more difficult than is the case with some of the other high-speed tractors.

Edit to add:  Parts for the drivetrain are available from Zimmerman's Oliver Cletrac and, if you run a search for Jerry Biro on the internet, you will find contact information.  Mr. Biro can supply a wide variety of engine parts.

Douglas
oldtwuks
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 07:37:20 AM »

Thanks for the advise on track, price and parts, the owner wants what would amount to $4000.00 US in an unrestored condition. Had a look at the track thread but am not currently inspired with confidenace on this it could end up that the tracks will cost more than the machine itself. I have bought rubber based tracks for an excavator and that was close $8k for a pair hope the Cletrac ubits would be under that.
Ol Paint
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 12:44:13 PM »

I've gotten an estimate for a new radiator core of ~$900, not including shipping.  I'd advise trying to knock the price down a bit.  Unless the machine has all of the accessories (compressor, generator, winch, bumpers, spotlamps, and air system), I'd be hard-pressed to think that the machine as you describe would be worth more than $2000.  It depends alot on the condition & how far you need to transport it.  

I don't know what availability is like in your neck of the woods, but I'd think the asking price is high unless the machine is in substantially better shape than the ones pictured on these links.
Machine 1
Link 1
Machine 2
Link 2
Link 3

I paid close to $2000 for each of these, and they both had good tracks (non-runners).  I know that NOS halftrack tracks go for ~$2500 a pair, and they are much easier to find due to their greater numbers and active-duty use into the 1990s.  Unless we can find someone to start manufacturing new tracks, my presumption is that any take-off tracks you manage to find on the market are going to cost at least that much.

All prices in USD.  Proximity will play a big role in what you eventually pay.  Based on parts prices, you probably won't make money restoring these, but they should be fun to drive & enjoy.

Douglas

[Edited to fix links.]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: