Cletrac.org
June 30, 2022, 02:28:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 11/28/12 - Added a Calendar where members can post and view upcoming events, shows, etc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AG6H lube buttons  (Read 7433 times)
david roberson
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2009, 08:04:41 PM »

need advice on getting lube to rollers i took one button  off the threads are 3/8s pipe can i used corn picker grease , what do i

use for a pump/lube gun thanks

david roberson newby
Bob
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 09:36:10 PM »

I use 50 wt engine oil in mine. I have the oil gun for mine, which is a pail with a pump and a hose and a fitting that will fit the button head. Don't use regular grease for them. It doesn't flow into the wheel like it is supposed to.

I don't know what corn picker grease is so I can't help you with that.

Certified Cletrac-tard
G Huffman
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 02:14:50 PM »

Corn picker oil is fine.  It used to be called corn picker and track oil.  I hear some mix grease with 90 wt in a 50 50 batch.  It might be a little thick.  The buttons pass more oil than the zerk fittings.  You can get a button fitting for your grease gun.  That is what I did.  Then all you have to do is to figure out how much to use.
david roberson
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 02:39:06 PM »

thanks i got gear lube 80 w 90 today will go to napa to get the grease gun adapter  no stores had 40 motor oil  thank you
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 03:40:37 PM »

Don't use hypoid gear oil made for auto or truck rear ends! Use either 50 wt non-detergent engine oil or GL-1 90 wt gear oil.

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
david roberson
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 05:40:38 PM »

got lube adapter off LANDIS  50 wt oil from  sinclair           david roberson
Bill Kycia
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 08:34:49 PM »

Ready to start painting my 1937 E-38,need some modern paint codes for cletrac orange.Also have a question about the odd cletrac emblem on the top radiator tank. All the streamline crawlers I have seen .have the word cletrac cast into the radiator But my crawler has smooth top tank with the word cletrac made of brass and rivited to tank. Must be rare? Thanks Bill in CT.
Bob
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 10:04:22 PM »

I think I met you at Dan Moore's place in Ludlow Vermont! I just found out about that style tag myself for sure the other day. That style is rare. They were the first off the line streamlined. I don't know if other models were that way or not for sure. I have never seen one in person, or even a pic of one.

I used a dupont 1952 code, but it is a little light. So I guess hopefully you can find out and let me know then.

Bob

Certified Cletrac-tard
John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 09:26:49 AM »

Quote from: "Bill Kycia"
Ready to start painting my 1937 E-38,need some modern paint codes for cletrac orange.Also have a question about the odd cletrac emblem on the top radiator tank. All the streamline crawlers I have seen .have the word cletrac cast into the radiator But my crawler has smooth top tank with the word cletrac made of brass and rivited to tank. Must be rare? Thanks Bill in CT.

Bill, the paint code number I used for Cletrac Orange about 4 years ago was Dupont Dulux 017H. I am very happy with the results.

I recently searched for Cletrac Orange and found the following PPG Paint Color Codes on:
http://www.worldpath.net/~thompson/misc ... Colors.htm

Cletrac Orange----------------60045
Cletrac Orange----------------60376
Oliver Cletrac Orange--------60583
Oliver Orange-----------------60433
Oliver Yellow------------------81892

It was not clear to me why they listed so many different paint codes.

John D
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
Eric Severance
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 07:55:22 AM »

Bill, I used the 60583 on my GG General, and was very pleased with it.

"No matter where you go, there you are"
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 06:55:24 PM »

I used a Martin Senior Cletrac Orange several years ago on my 1936 unstyled E-62. It looked beautiful for 3 or 4 years, but since it was not acrylic enamel, it started to fade a lot. Now it has peeled and faded very badly and needs redone.

The next time I would use acrylic enamel with catalyst or equivalent. At least something that will not fade.

Blake

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
AG-6Hguy
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 01:59:58 AM »

Blake,
Re: Hypoid rear end oil not being a good choice--Will Valvoline 80-90 GL-4/GL-5 work for the track rollers??

Thanks--

AG6Hguy
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 05:16:37 PM »

Quote from: "AG-6Hguy"
Blake,
Re: Hypoid rear end oil not being a good choice--Will Valvoline 80-90 GL-4/GL-5 work for the track rollers??

Thanks--

Original requirement would be 50 wt non-detergent motor oil. However, Harold or Ray Zimmerman said GL-1 gear oil is ok as well. They even like it better.

Blake

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: