Cletrac.org
June 30, 2022, 01:41:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 8/27/14 - I just doubled the allowable attachment size to 900 KB and upped the attachment folder size. You can make your attachments bigger and easier to view now. We have much more space available than we used to.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1951 Oliver Crawler/Loader with a Ware Loader  (Read 6917 times)
Jethrow
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2009, 01:16:52 PM »

Hello,

I'm new to the Forum and new to a 1951 Oliver Crawler/Loader with a Ware Loader.  Can't be too sure about the 1951 as both the indentification plates are gone.  My only clue is the Oliver Instruction Manual First Edition December 1951.  I'm also assuming it has an IXB3 motor as half the dipstick is missing.

Haven't run the motor yet as I'm addressing problems in the final drive.  The pinion gear cap was missing and most of the pinion bearings were jamed in the bull gear.  Literally had to drag it into the barn.

I've been going through the forum and there is a ton of useful information.  I'm looking forward to working with you guys and hopefully contribute if I can.

Jethrow

1955 Oliver OC3-42 Ware 3Wi Loader and Aux Trans
spectra
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »

Congratulations on your new machine. Look for some raised numbers close to the magneto on the side of the engine with those numbers and letters you will be able to find out what year you engine is and what it is. Post the numbers here and someone will be able to tell you what it is. Good luck on your new purchase. Everyone likes pic posted of new toys.
Jethrow
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 09:43:24 PM »

Here's a picture as delivered; closeup of the pinion gear[attachment=1:287vgqfu]Ollie_1_small.jpg[/attachment:287vgqfu][attachment=0:287vgqfu]Rear_Seal#1_small.jpg[/attachment:287vgqfu]

Jethrow
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 08:01:52 PM »

Progress!

Replaced the pinion cap, bearings and seals, got some cleanup and painting done while the temp was above 50 degrees; won't see that for another 4 months.

Got the magneto off and added new points and condenser.  Casting code behind the magneto is 112 55 (symbol for center line) 746.  Any clue as to what year the block was cast?

I rebuilt the carburator with a kit from Zimmermans, had the started rebuilt and replaced the cables.  It actually runs pretty good for an old girl!  Added a temporary fan belt until I can figure out how to replace the original by uncoupling the hydraulic pump.  No output from the generator but that's a project for another day.  Governor needs some work as the range of engine speed seems quite limited.

Some picture of the progress:

Jethrow

ianoz
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 03:46:07 AM »

Hi Jethrow ,Your tractor looks like it  is comming along very nicely .Thanks for posting the proggress report and the photos . ian .
John Schwiebert
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 05:57:55 PM »

On the last picture you will notice a flat spot milled on the block. In that flat area the model number of the engine and the serial number of the engine will be stamped.

John Schwiebert
Eric Severance
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 10:35:39 AM »

Jethrow, Nice work. Judging from the casting numbers you gave, I'm gonna guess that engine was cast on either Jan. 12, 1955, or Nov 2, 1955. The tractor looks consistant with a 1955 OC-3, so that should be a pretty close estimate of it's year, as long as no one has swapped engines.

"No matter where you go, there you are"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: