Cletrac.org
August 18, 2019, 10:58:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 11/28/12 - Added a Calendar where members can post and view upcoming events, shows, etc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting Support Brackets to theTrack Frame  (Read 2350 times)
100550dvr
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2010, 12:37:17 PM »

In the course of competing the restoration of my HG42, serial 57GA312, the rear support brackets required some attention. The outer brackets were removed along with the trunnion nuts. The casting bores were re-machined on CNC equipment along with machining new nuts. The outside brackets were reinstalled and assembled. Everything aligned perfect. Next, the right inside support bracket was removed from the track frame. All the usual wear shims were removed. It was apparent the shaft/bracket had not been lubricated for a long time. The inside support bracket was re-machined. As to be expected, the sleeve over the 116 951 Track Frame Shaft was worn. Measurements were taken and a new sleeve was machined to fit over the shaft. Everything fit and was reassembled to the frame.

I can not align the inner support bracket with the track frame to reinstall the capscrews. The bracket holes are about 1/8 inch too low.

I called Landis and he suggested I loosen the outside support brackets. I tried this and it still does not allow the inner bracket to properly align.

Jacking does not help the cause, as the outer support brackets are still attached. It just raises the frame.

I did take some track gauge measurements and there is approximately 3/4 inch difference between the top and the bottom.  In other words...it bows in/down 3/8 inch on each side.

Nothing in the service manual that I can find. Should I jack the inner support bracket from the slot cut into the track frame that is below it?

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
hotratz
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 05:42:08 PM »

If it we're mine I would avoid doing anything that created stress points on the bolts. I think I would take the track hanger off, enlarge the holes and make some eccentric bushings to go in the holes that give you the .125 offset you need.

100550dvr
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 11:44:42 PM »

That will not work because the support bracket needs to be raised to allow the casting to fit tight against the track frame. My guess is I will need to loosen/remove the track over the rear sprocket and then jack the bracket to align the holes.

I'm not sure if I can attach a photo. Maybe a photo will give everyone a better understanding of the problem.
hotratz
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 09:16:46 AM »

Yeah, A picture would be a great help.

Jack in NB
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »

Have you checked that the knee action spring isn't causing the track frame to hold a tilt? Or the track frame has some toe-on at the front, causing it to rotate a bit, raising the inside of the track frame?

The inner track hangars as well as the boss on the housings wore badly on one of mine, causing a bad case of pigeon toes. Probably close to 2" of toe-in at the front, as well as that frame rotation.

Had to build up the inner boss on the final drive housings (or spacers) with braze, then turn them (built a portable fly cutter arrangement powered by  a half inch drill for the job) to true them up. Machined out the track hangars to fit, and installed grease fittings front and back to get some lubrication into them.

Still working 25 years later.

1952 OC 3 6WH994
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: