Cletrac.org
October 25, 2014, 11:19:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 11/28/12 - Added a Calendar where members can post and view upcoming events, shows, etc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordson Snow Machine - 1929 Concept  (Read 2543 times)
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:13:32 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBjlSJf4274

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
Paul Bianchi
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 08:56:17 PM »

Blake,

Wow...what a cool concept.  I wonder if it could float?  Youtube also has a video of a  "Zil" military screw type vehicle.

Paul Bianchi
MSgt USMC Ret.
AMERICAN BY BIRTH, MARINE BY CHOICE
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:37:15 PM »

Not sure if that one would float, but I think it could be made to float if the drums are big enough to give more boyancy than the machine weighs. It sure seams like it would be fun to have one! If it would float, it could go through swamps as well as on ponds, snow, wet ground, etc.

I really think someone should build one out of an HG. Use the Cletrac steering and final drives, but take the track frames off and attach the spiraled drums. They'd have to have some kind of bevel gears from the final drives. Maybe come off the axle shafts before the final drives to get more speed? It would be a good project for an HG with junk tracks.

Blake

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
hotratz
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:21:16 AM »

There is one of those at an outdoor farm museum in Curlew Washington in very nice condition but it's an 8N. It's almost a shame it sits outside. One of the coolest machines I've seen.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: