Cletrac.org
October 16, 2019, 05:29:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 8/27/14 - I just doubled the allowable attachment size to 900 KB and upped the attachment folder size. You can make your attachments bigger and easier to view now. We have much more space available than we used to.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Cletrac" Corporation  (Read 8971 times)
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2002, 02:53:36 PM »

I'm looking for information on the Cletrac Corporation. The Cletrac Corporation was an entity that was formed after White Motors bought out Oliver Corp. It was the original Cleveland Tractor part of Oliver after the White buyout.

It is a mystery to me and I would like to know more of the details. My uncle actually saw some brand new tractors at the Cleveland plant with "Cletrac" on the front in the early 60s!!Cheesy

Blake
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
thecatskinner
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2002, 10:40:23 AM »

If I get a chance I will see if I can find more---but this sure amazed me, they became part of Amerada Hess.
See: http://www.scripophily.net/amhescor.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by thecatskinner » Logged
thecatskinner
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2002, 09:12:52 PM »

I sent an email to the company historian at Amerada Hess--but to date nothing in return:(
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2002, 03:29:07 PM »

I sent an email to the company historian at Amerada Hess--but to date nothing in return  

Let us know if you hear anything. I think I recall my grandfather getting his pension from Hess. I'll ask my uncle Howard if he knows anything about it.

Blake

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
thecatskinner
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2002, 09:17:35 AM »

Blake, this morning I sent another note to Amerada Hess, a copy of which follows:

Good morning,  I am sending this note to you in the hope that you can forward it to the appropriate person.  I have sent previous notes to various addresses within Amerada Hess in the past but have received no reply.

I am searching for information regarding the Cletrac Corporation (Cletrac).  I believe that Amerada Hess purchased Cletrac from the White Motor Company (White) in 1962.

White had purchased the Oliver Corporation (Oliver) in 1960 and then apparently spun off Cletrac to Amerada Hess two years later.

Oliver had purchased the Cleveland Tractor Company and it's trade name Cletrac in 1944.  Subsequently, about 1951 the use of the Cletrac trade name was dropped and the products acquired from Cletrac were re-branded as Oliver.

In 1960 when Oliver was acquired by White the re-branded tractors were dropped from the product line.  At that point all vestiges of Cletrac disappeared until the purchase by Amerada Hess.

If possible I would like to know what  Amerada Hess purchased from White, did the sale include the physical assets that had once been the production facilities of Cletrac, which was located in Cleavland OH.   Also what was the intent of the purchase and what was done with Cletrac.

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

David C. Grubb
VP, Advanced Technology
Knoll, Inc.

I hope that my "facts" are reasonably close.  I will let you know if I get anything from this latest inquiry.:)
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2002, 03:54:54 PM »

Sounds pretty close David.

Not sure if Hess purchased it from White or from Oliver. And not sure what they purchased. There may have been no assets in the purchase whatsoever. It may have been entirely a legal thing for pensions, etc.

A call to my friend John T., who was Chief Engineer, may be in order.

Blake ;)

John
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2002, 02:10:14 PM »

Why would an oil company be interested in tractors?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: