Cletrac.org
June 26, 2022, 01:06:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wishing you folks all a very Merry Christmas! From Blake Malkamaki and Cletrac.org.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at buying a crawler  (Read 5224 times)
Wes (MI)
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2010, 03:28:06 PM »

I'm interestead in purchasing an old crawler/dozer, and need some recommendations. I need it to be a gas engine, wieghs between 4K-8K preferably ( it will be towed behind a '93 Chevy K2500), and have a decent parts support for it. I do like the styling of the olivers and Cletracs. I don't mind working on stuff, I've restored a couple of Ford tractors, rebuilt motors, differentials and I am a welder by trade. I plan on using it for some stump removale, site clearing, road cutting, etc. I need a small crash course in what to look for, and what to walk away from. I don't have any crawler experience. Thanks.

-Wes
ianoz
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 08:54:10 PM »

Hi Wes ,Welcome to the forum . I think it would be unrealistic to tell you parts are available and  easy to find for any brand of tractor . But with the network of helpfull people here  most things are possible 

Hopefully guys like Hotratz will get their restoration thread photos posted back up  so you and others can  appreciate  some great machines .

Myself a HG/OC3 sounds like it would fit your requirements nicely ,Complete with a blade or loader  woukd be a usefull tool as well as a show piece . Ian .
John Schwiebert
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 10:01:47 PM »

For the weight and your intended function, I would a BG or an OC-12 gas would fit your bill. The HG/OC-3 is not going to cut what you are going to do.

John Schwiebert
ianoz
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 11:16:16 PM »

Yes Sorry Wes , I missed your intended uses .  I am more familier with diesel machines  not gas ones , John is going to know what he is talking about . Ian .
Bob
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 02:36:40 PM »

A bare BG would be all of 8,000lbs but would make one hell of a tractor. The OC12 gas would be a little heavier, depending on wether its a 4 or 5 bottom track wheel setup. An AG, or AG6 would be a bit lighter with good power also. These are bare tractors, with blades, I would figure an extra ton, give or take a couple pounds Cheesy

Actually a later OC4 with the 3cylinder Hercules would be quite a tractor in my opinion. Parts seem to be more availible for this model too. With a blade I would think one would weigh in around 7k or 8k. I personally don't really like the HGs or OC3s for more than a farm tractor, or to push some loose dirt, altho an HG was our first "bulldozer", and quite a bit of road building, stump removing ect have been done with them.

Hopefully we have helped you.

Bob

Certified Cletrac-tard
Bob
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:59:08 PM »

I was thinking, I have an AGH Cletrac I'd part with. Its a runner too! Hercules OOC gas engine, weighs about 7000lbs.

Certified Cletrac-tard
Wes (MI)
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 06:36:51 PM »

Thanks everyone for your input, like I said I'm new to this, and I'm smart enough to ask questions when I don't know something. I'm more partial to gas engines, because I have a better understanding of them and that's what the rest of my equipment runs on. I'd like to only have to carry one type of fuel in my transfer tank.

Bob, I would deffinitley be interestead in taking a look at it, and talking more about it with you. It's not something I can get right away. I'm in the Tri-cities area of MI.

-Wes
Bob
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »

Ok that sounds like a plan. The couple I have to get rid of have oilfield winches on the back. I'll have to take some pics and post them, or email them to you.

MI is Michigan right, or is it Minnesota? If its Michigan, I could work out delivery, or have you deliver stuff to me when you come to pick it up. I have a Blade off of an OC18 I need to get home from Alma.

Bob

Certified Cletrac-tard
Wes (MI)
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 06:18:11 PM »

I live in Midland, about 45 minutes NE of Alma. Send me some pics, and info on % of under-carriage, condition of motor and we'll talk price and time frame.

-Wes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: