Cletrac.org
June 30, 2022, 02:54:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 11/28/12 - Added a Calendar where members can post and view upcoming events, shows, etc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help on model H identification--it might have a combo of R & W parts  (Read 9514 times)
AG-6Hguy
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2011, 03:32:28 PM »

I'm going to check out a model H ser # approx 8500 and need some help with correct casting #s--engine, rearend, etc.,and anything else that might let me know if it's original or a put together from misc parts. I'm a total newbie to this model and want to be as knowledgable as poossible when I inspect it.
         All I know is I just gotta have it!!
It's supposed to be totally complete but not running. I know this is a transitional model and may have early and late type parts . I saw a picture and it does have the narrow R type tracks on it and I've been told a  Splitdorf magnito.

Thanks guys

AG6Hguy
Bob
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:14:33 AM »

The early Hs did have the narrow cast tracks. They also had tin radiator shrouds instead of the cast iron ones. I'll email Eric S, because he has one and is a bit more studied up on than I.

Bob

Certified Cletrac-tard
AG-6Hguy
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:46:44 PM »

Bob, Thanks
I'm also looking for an air cleaner box/assembly for the H.

Rol--

AG6Hguy
Eric Severance
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:50:29 AM »

Just got Bob's email. Don't know how much help I can be, but here's what I know based on what I've learned since owning my H. I think the Early H's had Teagle Mags, then Eismann Mags on the later ones. Definitely check to see if it has cast radiator, or tin shrouded radiator. That changed around 1919 as did the tracks. Track frame splash guards changed too. Don't rush into the air cleaner yet either, they changed too, from a small engine mounted cyclone style to the big cast iron water box on the side of the hood. There may have been a different version air cleaner in between these two also. I don't know exact times for all these changes, but believe most to be around 1918-1919. All these changes were upgrades to be incorporated into the upcoming model W debut in 1919. Mine has a 1918 casting date on the rear axle housing. Can't recall my serial number off hand, but thinking it's around 3400. Mine's an early version. The later H's can be easily mistaken for W's. R's have completely different track frames, and different engine. Good luck, keep us posted !!

"No matter where you go, there you are"
AG-6Hguy
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 08:28:16 AM »

Thanks Eric.
I was supposed to go up today to see it but at the last minute the guy says I need a 4 WD to get up the steep and muddy road to the shed where its located. My 4x4 is in the shop now so it will be a week or so before I finally get to inspect it. What about the Splitdorf magnito? Is that unusual for that model? I also heard there might be an oil bath type air cleaner that was correct for a small number of the Hs.

AG6Hguy
Eric Severance
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:50:05 AM »

Sorry, I can't help you with the Splitdorf mag. It's surely possible Cleveland Tractor Co. used them, but equally possible someone installed it to replace a failed original mag. I think you are right about the air cleaner. Keep pounding the books, and internet. The old pictures I've found on the internet, and this site are worth a thousand words, especially the ones with seemingly accurate dates.

AG-6Hguy
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 01:32:22 AM »

Going up Saturday. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Rol--

AG6Hguy
AG-6Hguy
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »

I bought it. It appears to be original and unmolested- -complete except for the Cyclone air cleaner.
Data plates are all there and the casting #s are all within 5 weeks of late 1918
I'll post some pics later
Richard--Thanks for all your help.

RB

AG6Hguy
Eric Severance
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 09:09:43 AM »

Awesome !! Does it have the Splitdorf mag on it ? Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Congratulations !!

AG-6Hguy
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 11:48:27 PM »

Yes, it's a Splitdorf Aero 448 and has an impulse starter?. I started to disassemble it to see what makes it tick--looks very clean inside. This is my first tractor with a magneto so the learning curve is beginning. Oops-I forgot my Ford 8N--OK another $50.00 fine.
The tractor also has a Kingston L2 carb on it with an brass fuel filter--all there and in great shape.
Anybody else out there running a Kingston on their H Huh

Thanks,
Roland

AG6Hguy
Bob
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 08:31:42 AM »

Mags on these old tractors all had impulse starters if I'm not mistaken. It is for when they are cranked, it spins the mag real fast to give it hot enough spark to start.

As for the Kingston carb. I have one or two laying around, not for an H, but none on running tractors yet. You are looking at $250 if you had to find and buy one...

Sounds like a good find!
Bob

Certified Cletrac-tard
Eric Severance
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »

I have no explanation on the Mag. My parts book seems to show the Teagle, and the Eisemann mags. I believe the Kingston is the correct carburetor. Does your H have the tin shrouded radiator, or the cast iron radiator ? Sounds like you have the early (more rare) version of the model H. I think my casting numbers are like June of 1918, and it's an early model.

LoggerLee
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 02:12:27 PM »

Pictures or it never happened.  Tongue

3DDH tractors,Allis Chalmers M crawler,T-20,BDH,2112 Simplicity and a GT30 Terratrac.
AG-6Hguy
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 08:56:11 PM »

It happened but the site won't let me upload/post pics to to this thread. After about 8 trys I gave up. I'll try again later tonight
Rol--

AG6Hguy
LoggerLee
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 02:00:28 AM »

bummer man!
Well hopefully it will let you post pictures.

3DDH tractors,Allis Chalmers M crawler,T-20,BDH,2112 Simplicity and a GT30 Terratrac.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: