Cletrac.org
August 13, 2020, 12:12:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 11/28/12 - Added a Calendar where members can post and view upcoming events, shows, etc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: military cletrack wont role  (Read 13771 times)
redlineoryourmine
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2003, 11:08:38 PM »

i have just got 3 cletracks all are military and will be getting 3 more of them but i cannot get one of them to role its the first ive tryed to get home we pulled the front bumper off it pulling so hard and pulled forwards and backwards no luck what should i do next they have the rubber tracks on them and i dont want to brake them.im not sure what model they are all i know is its a M2 medium tractor they have winch, generator and compressor on the rear i have a few pictures if someone wants to see them on webshots.com ill need lots of help with these pieces of history dont let them die a rusty death. thanks Buck Sharp
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by redlineoryourmine » Logged
redlineoryourmine
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 08:50:32 AM »

i sure could use some help with this fellas does anyone want or even like military cletracks i will have some extras when im done building the one i want sure wish this forum rocked a little harder with this stuff i also have half-tracks and other military stuff i have found 10 cletracks so ill be tracking as soon as i get all your help and vast knowledge. hope to meet some of you also i have a phone number you can call me at its 402 376-5768 i have voice mail so ill call you back if i miss your call that is if you leave me a number of course. thanks again Buck
John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 09:47:13 AM »

Buck,
Welcome to the Forum.  I've been away a few days, and there must be a common theme - usually there's a fantastic response from the members of this forum.

I know that Cletrac made a number of different models for the military.

What model(s) do you have? ADH? OC-3?

I'll go out on a limb here, and assume they've been sitting outside for a while.

Have you been able to shift it into neutral?
Is the clutch frozen?  Can you remove the top access plate to see inside the clutch housing?

Does the engine turn?  Have you checked fluids in the rear-end?

Hope that helps get you rolling.  Good luck with your project(s).  Continue to ask questions!

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John D » Logged

John D
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 03:08:16 PM »

They should either be an MG-1 or MG-2.

Try to located where the one is seized up. Do the tracks move at all? Will the bogie wheels turn? Idlers? Sprockets? Is the engine seized up? If not, maybe you can try to move the tractor a little with the starter. Lots of things to check.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
redlineoryourmine
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 06:06:14 PM »

im not sure what model they are the drive sprockets wont turn much very little play the clutch goes in and the shifter will go back and forth no sideways movement here is a link of the pictures of the ones i own so far th eothers will be in my collection soon look under odds and ends 4 and cletracks the one in cletracks pictures is the yellow one at teh end the one with my kid in the picture the other one in teh cletrack pictures is the one that hasnt been started since it was bought as surplus many years ago that is teh one i want to restore here is the link go to http://community.webshots.com/user/redlineoryourmine
they are all outside in the elements hope the link works there are a few of my other pictures on there also a few of the things i dont own yet either. glad to here someone is around thanks so far hope the pictures help out im in Valentine nebraska if anyone is close stop on down id be happy to learn some history and some know how of some experienced workers how do i loosen teh brake bands that is what i suspect is holding it up lots of stuff started to move when we tore the bumper off. do anyone think these are cool cletracks sorry about the spelling im pretty buisy trying to take care a a vehicle problem right now thanks guys. Buck
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 07:13:15 PM »

This one http://community.webshots.com/photo/74986780/75840066jLQrJH looks like an MG-1 to me. But I don't know the differences between the MG-1 and MG-2. Perhaps someone else here knows the differences.

Blake

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
redlineoryourmine
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 12:36:25 AM »

so how do i loosen up the brake bands on it to see if that is the problem ? that is what i think it is
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 09:44:38 PM »

I doubt very much it is the brake bands as they are in oil and seldom ever seize up. To adjust them, remove the cover under the seat and back off the adjusting nuts a couple turns. If the levers have free travel, the brakes are not too tight.

When adjusting the brakes, be sure to tie a string around your wrench in case you drop it in the transmission case.

erik
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2003, 05:43:00 PM »

I have never seen one of those military Cletracs before, do they have the same rubbertracks and other chassis components as the halftrack? Did they use this crawler during the D-Day invasion in Normandy?
I love those Halftracks, I sure would like to own one if I could find one and I would not mind one of those crawler to.

I have not had time to do anything on my OC-3 because of other projects, I'll keep you informed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by erik » Logged

Here it is!
redlineoryourmine
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2003, 10:23:47 PM »

not the same tracks  but are built about the same they look very similar but im not sure much about them yet ive been posting questions trying to learn about these machines. ive been pretty buisy havent been back to work on it again for awhile hopeing to get it figured out before i go again he is pretty sketish about using his tractor. they used these to pull around air planes with in ww2 they have a pretty neet pintal hook for pulling planes on them.they also are supposto have a air compressor on teh rear and a generator on the fender along with a mean looking winch on the front. they look sweet alltoghter i think even for looking at a busted down one i sure wish someone had some manuals for this thing. later for now Buck
pmarriott
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2003, 12:22:59 PM »

Hi there I live over in England and also have just got an MG-1, otherwise known as the M-2 in millitary terms. I haven't s yet started restoration as such. I am having side panels and front and rear guards made as we speak. I am in need of numerous fittings including:
Air compressor, air tank and mountings including regulator, electric generator, headlights and mounting brackets as well as battery cover. If you have any bits for sale or may be a whole vehicle just let me know. I also know of several other vehicles being restored in England and six in Belgium all own by the same man. Look forward to hearing from you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by pmarriott » Logged
cletracboy
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2003, 12:36:04 PM »

is it too late to tell you I have a set of side covers for an MG 1 in Stafford, England! I also have other bits that may be of use. I got them when I brought a load of parts for my cletrac BD. Please email me if you interested, sgparrott@farming.co.uk . Sam
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by cletracboy » Logged

I live in England, got interested in Cletrac's when I brought an Oliver BD in 2001, I now have an Oliver BD a Cletrac BDH and another BDH for parts and have just brought a 1919 model H. I also have a british built Track Marshall 90.  Always keen to hear from fellow collectors.
redlineoryourmine
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2003, 09:05:24 PM »

sweet do you have any pictures of your cletracks and what side panels are you talking about. you are a long way away from me here in Nebraska i still havent even got mine home yet to decide how many of these machines it will take to build one yet im only 28 years old and have a family and a new baby on the way sometime within a week this one will be a boy. i will help out if i can sure wish someone was closer to check out there stuff i will have lots of patterns to build off of if you need i dont own the nicest cletrack yet but i will what did you pay for yours my first 3 are free and over $1000 for the one i want is this a good price they dont run and have been outside for years. like i said ive found 10 or so so far so keep in touch id like to see pictures of all of your tracked machines. well hope to get some more help from all of you and help you out also bye for now.. Buck
redlineoryourmine
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2003, 11:04:03 PM »

i worked on the cletrack tonight and it seems that all the works is moving so i think that it must be the transmission is bound between gears or its in gear how do i go about freeing it up or can a guy pull the axles out of it so it can role out of the mess it is in right now teh pto is engagded also it seems but that shouldnt matter should it ? hope to get the tranny free soon so i can start to get my new toys home whare i have air tools to work on them. i sure wish more people would have ideas about this stuff and own more of it also thanks for now as always.... Buck Sharp
redlineoryourmine
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2003, 11:07:14 PM »

i still could not find out how to tellthe serial number or the model number yet whare do i look? i read all the other posts and i dont see it on the fire wall i believe that is whare i was supposto look. help again ,. thanks
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: