Cletrac.org
June 26, 2022, 12:03:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 11/28/12 - Added a Calendar where members can post and view upcoming events, shows, etc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: front transmission bearing  (Read 3350 times)
patty
phpBB Junior Operator

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2011, 05:50:21 AM »

I have a DDH that i have recently had to rebuild the clutch slide and forks on the cardon shaft between the motor and transmission. i have replaced the flex drive coupling and cross shaft and would like to replace the front input bearing in the transmission. problem is that I have no idea of how to get it out without dismantling the entire tranny. I have removed the seal carrier so I am down to just the transmission case and bearing. any ideas would be great.
Pat Staunton
Port Macquarie 
Australia
Robert Barbour
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 08:58:34 PM »

To change that bearing you would have to remove the top transmission input shaft.  That requires taking the top cover off, removing the PTO drive gear and pushing the shaft forward and out.  The sliding gears on it would need to be supported.  It is a fair bit of work.

Robert from Vancouver Island BC
patty
phpBB Junior Operator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:09:53 AM »

thanks for your reply, should there be any play at all in that bearing?
Robert Barbour
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:20:22 PM »

That shaft is supported by two deep groove ball bearings.  Yes they do have some clearance in the bearing when new, so the shaft would have a little play, I would expect about .003" for a bearing of that size when new.  With the seal cover off you should be able to see the bearing.  Check to see that the cage that keeps the balls evenly spaced in the bearing is intact. If the cage is fine and when you turn the shaft by hand it rolls smoothly without any rough spots it will likely run for quite awhile yet.  If you have a dial indicator you and measure the play.  If that is much over .01"  there is not much life left.

Robert from Vancouver Island BC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: