Cletrac.org
September 02, 2014, 04:15:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 8/27/14 - I just doubled the allowable attachment size to 900 KB and upped the attachment folder size. You can make your attachments bigger and easier to view now. We have much more space available than we used to.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Seal on OC-46 Clutch Housing  (Read 931 times)
jeffesonm
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »

The OC-46 I recently bought had a bad reverser aux trans.  I sent it off to Zimmerman who replaced the bearings and shafts, it up last week and got it all back together this weekend.  Was cleaning up the mating area before I put it in and noticed what looks to be an oil seal half hanging out of where the clutch pilot shaft goes into the clutch housing.  I went ahead and pulled the rest of it off, along with the spring that was attached.  Is this indeed an oil seal?  Please tell me I can just pop it off and replace and don't have to take off the clutch housing now.  The machine came with the manual but don't see this mentioned anywhere.

In happier news I also made a new seat since the last one was basically nonexistent.  I used a base of 3/4" plywood with 2" foam on top and then covered with marine vinyl from the fabric store.

OC-46-3G
John Schwiebert
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 06:55:10 PM »

Well there is a seal that seals the oil in your auxilary gearbox. There is also a gasket between it and the bellhousing. Now I looked in 3 parts books and none of them showed the seal or the gasket, however they are both shown in the OC-46 shop manual. If it rains tonight I will have one more look in the morning. I like your seat.

John Schwiebert
jeffesonm
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 11:18:32 PM »

Thanks John, I think that's what I am looking for.  You know I was stupid and was looking through the clutch section of the manual and didn't realize there was an oil seal right there #22 in the aux trans diagram.  I got this whole mess in pieces, already disassembled, and just figured it was part of the bell housing.  If you've got a part number that would be great otherwise I'll be prying the rest out tomorrow and seeing if I can make out the numbers. For gaskets #16 and #23 I got some of this stuff and cut out them out... hopefully that does the trick.

OC-46-3G
oliverchris
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »

That oil seal is 604 699 F. Mentioned in 3G Parts Manual but not shown in diagram.
They call it the Driving Pinion Shaft Oil Seal (assuming your aux trans is a travel reverser)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:35:01 AM by oliverchris » Logged

1945 Orange HG42 with electric snowblade
1952 OC3-31 sidewalk plow
OC3-42 + Ware 3-WI (several)
OC3-42 Heller Universal Trencher
1957 Oliver Super 55 1958 Oliver 550 Gas & Diesel
1969 White 2-44 13LL (loader/backhoe)
1970s Oliver 1255 FWA
OC4 Series B Dozer + OC46 Series B Loaders
OC4 AlftaT
jeffesonm
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:03:30 AM »

Yes it is the reverser trans... thanks... one NOS11800 should be at my local NAPA tomorrow AM.

OC-46-3G
jeffesonm
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 06:47:09 PM »

Got the seal installed but was unable to get the clutch shaft all the way back in.  Zimmerman suggested the two clutch discs may have shifted out of alignment if someone pressed the pedal with the shaft out, which I most certainly did a few times while fussing around with things.  So off came the clutch cover and out came the assembly.

Before I line this up and put it all back together, can anyone guess how much life I've got left in the clutch discs?  I've never seen a new one so not sure if these still have some crawling left in them or are on the verge of death here.  Thanks.

OC-46-3G
John Schwiebert
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 08:36:30 PM »

How much do you use the tractor and how much is shifting with the loader? Where are you located? Do you have any clutch rebuilders close by?

John Schwiebert
jeffesonm
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:57:01 PM »

I just bought this thing and it had a bad aux trans, so I haven't had a chance to use it at all yet  Sad  One day I'd like to get a few yards of dirt to regrade the backyard... also drag a few downed trees for firewood and haul some rocks up the hill so I can build some retaining walls.  Generally just light backyard work, few hours a week at most.  I take it they are nearing the end of their useful life?  

I am in central NJ... about 1 1/2 hours from Zimmerman, 1 hr from Philadelphia, 1 1/2 hours from NYC. There is a lot of stuff around here. Not sure exactly who I need but a quick search on clutch relining found a few possible places:

HR Clutch in Bensalem PA
The Rowland Company in PA
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:17:02 PM by jeffesonm » Logged

OC-46-3G
Robert Barbour
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 11:44:15 PM »

For your use, they would last for years yet!

Robert from Vancouver Island BC
jeffesonm
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »

Great!  I will get this thing back together here and maybe I can actually drive it.

OC-46-3G
jeffesonm
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 09:22:24 AM »

In case anyone needs to know in the future, HR Clutch in Bensalem PA estimated $350 to reline both clutch discs, rebuild pressure plate and resurface center place.

OC-46-3G
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: