Cletrac.org
October 26, 2014, 04:28:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 8/27/14 - I just doubled the allowable attachment size to 900 KB and upped the attachment folder size. You can make your attachments bigger and easier to view now. We have much more space available than we used to.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clutch problems  (Read 1075 times)
crawlin
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2012, 09:12:56 AM »

Ok my dilemma is my clutch will not disengage from my flywheel.  the pressure on the pedal feels normal. I removed my floorboards so that i can get more pedal travel and this did not help at all.  I can see the clutch and inner workings of the clutch assembly and when i push on the pedal everything inside the assembly seems to be moving freely.  It worked fine when i parked it in the garage.  I changed all the fluids and tightened all the bolts including the bolts that enter the bell housing.  This may be just coincidental. Any input would be great. 

Keep crawlin
oliverchris
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 09:51:52 AM »

If the clutch facing is stuck to the flywheel there are a few remedies for that. I have seen it all too often.
1. Start tractor in first gear, with clutch pedal pressed down, while tied to tree or against something immovable. With luck the force will separate them.
2. Start tractor in neutral and while running, jam it into first gear! Sounds awfully dangerous (don't get the revs too high!) but the sudden jolt works! I watched one of the Zimmerman's do it very successfully for me.
This advice at your own risk  Wink
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:58:50 PM by oliverchris » Logged

1945 Orange HG42 with electric snowblade
1952 OC3-31 sidewalk plow
OC3-42 + Ware 3-WI (several)
OC3-42 Heller Universal Trencher
1957 Oliver Super 55 1958 Oliver 550 Gas & Diesel
1969 White 2-44 13LL (loader/backhoe)
1970s Oliver 1255 FWA
OC4 Series B Dozer + OC46 Series B Loaders
OC4 AlftaT
crawlin
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »

i tried both of the suggestions before the original post and it did not work.  It is hard to believe that it could be stuck together that well.  It was only  setting for less than two months and when i parked it the tractor ran fine. I am  stumped on this one.

Keep crawlin
Bert
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 04:08:15 PM »

I have the same exact problem with my HG-31. I have tried soaking the clutch disk in brake cleaner, but no luck. I also tried locking the brakes down and turning the drive shaft with a pry bar, and even keeping tension on the bar for a couple days with no luck...........
Guess the only fix is to jack up the transmission to remove the drive shaft to access the clutch housing in order to remove it.
oliverchris
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 04:55:52 PM »

Following the bar in the driveshaft thinking.
How about locking the driveshaft and trying the starter.
Or remove the starter and lock the flywheel with a block of hardwood and try moving the driveshaft bar??
Infuriating, isn't it?
I am also wondering if you can spray some WD40 or equivalent onto that clutch-facing/flywheel interface through the starter hole? And then try various ideas again?

1970s Oliver 1255 FWA
OC4 AlftaT
Paul Bianchi
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »

That happen to me after sitting in the barn one winter.  I was able to start it in in gear and drive out.  I then pushed in the clutch and pulled back on the steering levers and it came free.

Paul Bianchi
MSgt USMC Ret.
AMERICAN BY BIRTH, MARINE BY CHOICE
Bill Seal
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »

THIRD GEAR!!!
You don't want the added torque breaking thinge in that hard-to-replace final drive.

The disk is just stuck to the flywheel with surface rust. Take out the starter, block down the pedal, you might be able to see the edge of the disk, I don't remember. Pry around on the edge  with something like a flat-bar wrecking bar or bent screwdriver. It should pop right off the flywheel.
Next time, remember to block down the pedal when you park it for the winter' Grin
crawlin
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 09:38:02 PM »

well i let the anger get the better of me however it worked out in my favor.  For those of you that have had the clutch stuck to flywheel problem, the solution that i found to work is put in first gear, and while crawling, quickly apply breaks.  either the engine will stall or in my case the flywheel will disengage from the flywheel.  Worked for me.  Very happy to be pushing dirt again.

Keep crawlin
phoenix
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 02:58:35 PM »

HI had same problem on hg31 my line of attack is remove drive shaft guard to gear box get a PARE OF 24"STILSONS (MONKEY WRENCH)
attatch to drive shaft with aprox of 6"gap from stilsons end of shaft to somthing solid give engine a hefty kick on starting handle
stilson handle will come suden stop shock should free off plate with no strain on gear box or transmition hope this is useful
oliverchris
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »

Took me while to visualize that, but that sounds like a great solution.
My OC3 universal trencher clutch is really stuck right now. I drove it into a large tree but that didn't work  Grin
Why do I always forget to block off the clutch in Winter? Don't answer that  Wink

1970s Oliver 1255 FWA
OC4 AlftaT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: