Cletrac.org
August 10, 2022, 09:38:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 11/28/12 - Added a Calendar where members can post and view upcoming events, shows, etc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally back to work on my 1946 AG-6  (Read 8057 times)
John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2014, 08:02:26 PM »

It's been about a dozen years since I pulled the engine out. It was bad. I got another engine that needed work and finished that about Christmas 2009 and got it running on New Years Day 2010.  Then a lot of life stuff happened. The engine has been sitting in my furnace room at the house while the chassis was sitting in the equipment shed at the farm.  We are trying to clean out the house to move in a year or two and the engine needs to be back in the tractor. But first I needed to clean and paint the chassis. 

I cleaned and primed it last week and painted on Thursday and Friday.  I mixed the paint color myself. The sheet metal (radiator firewall etc) was painted and stored probably 10 years ago.  Reassembly to begin next week.   I will post progress photos as it moves along. Right now the files are too big to share.

John D
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:28:47 PM »

Here are some photos of the unpainted and then primed chassis

John D
John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 08:31:49 PM »

Last photo before Cletrac Orange paint, and a couple of shots after

John D
Bob
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:45:48 PM »

Heck looks like it'll be pretty nice when you're done!

Bob

Certified Cletrac-tard
hotratz
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 04:05:26 PM »

Restore pictures always get me excited  Grin The color is real good too.

John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 06:54:09 PM »

Thanks Steve and Bob. Restoration pictures are always a fun thing to do.  Glad you are enjoying them.

I did the upholstery 9 years ago after the Sheetmetal paintwork was done.  Naugahyde and foam from a fabric store.  Made my own pattern. Two sheets of 3/8" plywood as a backing. I put T-Nuts in the plywood back so I have 1/4-20 bolts threaded in.  The seat bottom needed no fasteners.  1/2" foam for the sides and a pinch trim to hold it to the edges.   I bought the decals from Zimmerman back then too. Just put them on this week.  They really make it look great.

I bolted the seat on today. If you look carefully at the battery box it is actually a large old empty battery case I picked up years ago at a junk yard. It bolted to the fender easily using existing holes in the fender.

I've also been posting photos on MyTractorForum. The photos on my iPhone are initially too large to upload here.  I downloaded an app to resize pix. That helped a lot.

I ran into a snag today. There are no drains at the bottom of the wheel gear housing wells. The manual points out 4 lower drains and 2 overflow drains.  I guess I will have to siphon it out of those wells.

The muddy oil in the trans was mixed with water from power washing.  Probably been a few decades since the last time it was flushed.  I've had it 15 years and never checked it. (Oops)

I am so anxious to run it and drive even a few feet. I'd like to put it back up on blocks so I can access the underside easier.  I've left the top clutch cover off so I can make adjustments if needed. Then fasten the cover before installing the gas tank shelf and finally the gas tank can go back in place.

I am targeting end of September to finish.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:27:48 PM by John D » Logged

John D
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »

Just an FYI guys… I doubled the photo size limits for attachments so you can share larger images now.

Great pictures of your AG-6 John!

Blake

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 07:55:24 AM »

Thanks for the photo size increase Blake. That helped a lot.

Heading back up to work on it again this week. More pix by the weekend.

John D
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 11:35:52 AM »

With our new host we have a lot more available space John. MUCH more reliable too!

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 05:33:46 PM »

http://youtu.be/mtzgivMD7N8

Back at work again this week.

Got the engine running again. First time since 1/1/2010.  

Here's its maiden voyage outside the garage under its own power.

Checked the clutch operation before closing up the top cover and installing the gas tank and hood.

The throttle and choke control cables are in. And the dash is finished.

I still have to:
Install fuel petcock and lines
Install the hydraulics for the blade.   Fine tune the engine
Fabricate throttle linkage
Flush & fill the transmission case
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:08:37 PM by John D » Logged

John D
John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 06:42:48 PM »

Over the weekend I painted the headlight pods and breather caps.

Also used a needle scaler to remove old peeling paint from the hydraulic cylinders.

Working on a replacement throttle linkage now.

Tomorrow I go back to installing finished parts and completing fuel tank and delivery system installation.

If the weather cooperates I will take it out for a better photo opportunity.

John D
John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 03:49:26 PM »

I got the stone guard back on today and the headlights. Started working on the fuel lines too. Ran it outside for a few photos.

John D
hotratz
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 01:20:46 PM »

That thing is going to be sweet. I wish I had one that was as vintage. Nice job!

John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 06:30:09 AM »

Thanks guys.

I have been out doing trail work (cleaning up after loggers) with my ATV and a York rake.  Wishing the Cletrac was ready to tackle some of the bigger jobs.  Still targeting the last weekend of September for pressing it into service.  My Grandson will be excited to see it. He's young enough that he won't remember what it looked like before.

Earlier in the week I fabricated the throttle pivot from a piece of steel rod. Using a MAPP gas torch, I heated the ends and swedged them, then drilled for cable and carb rod linkage.  Got it right on the first attempt. I only had the top portion of the rod and the bracket that bolts to the engine. The lower part of the pivot was long gone.

I was working on fuel lines yesterday. Will finish that next trip.  Today I will be cleaning the hydraulic cylinders and priming them. Over the weekend I plan to paint the last few items and continue work on final assembly tasks.

John D
ianoz
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 05:01:18 AM »

Great Thread  John .Looking forward to seeing the rams on ,and seeing some paint worn off the blade .
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: