Cletrac.org
December 16, 2017, 06:07:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 11/28/12 - Added a Calendar where members can post and view upcoming events, shows, etc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cletrac 20K beats out McCormick Deering 10-20  (Read 5885 times)
robfuscate
phpBB Junior Operator

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2015, 09:57:24 PM »

On this Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Pioneer-Settlement/169202893106052

This video was taken January 2015. It shows staff of The Pioneer Settlement in swan Hill, Victoria, Australia trying to move a log jinker with their McCormick Deering 10-20. It fails dismally so they bring out their 1927 Cletrac 20K - success!
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 11:00:10 PM »

Great video! I bet the 10-20 would have pulled it if it hadn't had that ring around the wheels preventing them from biting into the ground. But the 10-20 would have struggled and would have really tore up the road. The 20K handled it with ease and hardly left a mark. Thanks for sharing!

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
robfuscate
phpBB Junior Operator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 10:46:03 PM »

Great video! I bet the 10-20 would have pulled it if it hadn't had that ring around the wheels preventing them from biting into the ground. But the 10-20 would have struggled and would have really tore up the road. The 20K handled it with ease and hardly left a mark. Thanks for sharing!

I'm sorry to say that, much as we all love the little Cletrac, it was our third choice; the McCormick Deering was second and Black Bess, our Fowler Z7 Ploughing engine was first - https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Pioneer-Settlement/169202893106052?sk=videos - but our weekend staff used up a week's worth of wood so it would have required a bit of chainsaw work - the 10-20 was quick and easier to start, as was the Cletrac!
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 10:53:54 PM »

Yeah, a traction engine would have handled it without working up a sweat. But the preparation for such a short task would have been a waste of time and fuel.

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
robfuscate
phpBB Junior Operator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 03:02:26 AM »

Well, it's not a Cletrac, but we used another one of our tractors for a similar job in the same space  - I don't think it would have pulled the Log Jinker in the first video, but these 3WD Glasgow Tractors were advertised as 'Heavy Duty'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAAka9XrLVw&feature=youtu.be
ianoz
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 06:45:53 PM »

Great videos , thanks for sharing .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: