Cletrac.org
August 13, 2020, 12:52:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wishing you folks all a very Merry Christmas! From Blake Malkamaki and Cletrac.org.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A-C HD-9X  (Read 9091 times)
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« on: July 26, 2002, 10:58:02 PM »

There was a very unusual Allis-Chalmers dozer at our show last weekend. It was an HD-9X with a Detroit Diesel engine.

The unusual part was the blade was attached solidly to the frame of the tractor. Hydraulic cylinders were attached to the sides of the tractor frame and lifted the entire front end of the machine - engine, dozer blade and all - in one piece. Very weird looking.

I don't know if it was factory made or not - though it was a good job if home made. Maybe it was experimental or maybe made for a certain purpose?

Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Blake;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
Robert Barbour
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2002, 10:42:39 PM »

The HD9X and HD15X were special dozers available from AC but were conversions by Baker. They were made in 1953 but did not go over very well and were dropped. Not many were made and no records kept.  I have never seen one but they are discused in a book on AC tractors that I have.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Robert Barbour » Logged

Robert from Vancouver Island BC
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2002, 03:19:13 PM »

I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can.

Blake:P

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2002, 01:33:22 AM »

As promised, here are a couple pictures of the HD-9X that I took at the Pioneer Steam & Gas Engine Society show this summer.

Blake

Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2002, 01:34:41 AM »

Another pic

thecatskinner
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2002, 06:45:02 PM »

I could not find anything on this and had a hard time trying to visualize it when you first described it.  Actually I was thinking of some kind of articulating frame.

It appears there is a cross member between the track frames that the cylinders connect to and everything pivots about the rear axle---is that correct?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by thecatskinner » Logged
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2002, 08:03:41 PM »

Yes, everything pivots on a rear axleshaft. A very weird machine, driving around with its nose in the air!:o

Blake

Jim N
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2002, 06:44:27 AM »

I came across this page a week or two ago.  It shows a page out of a forestry magazine advertising the HD9X.Here's the link.

http://www.ibdozing.com/images/Work%20I ... restry.htm
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Jim N » Logged

A List of My Toys :   58 Oliver OC4-42-IND Dozer,       50 Farmall Cub,     54 Farmall Super C,    69 JD 112,   75 Wheel Horse C-185 Electric,    72 Honda Trail 70,   75 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible,  71 Triumph TR6 Convertible, 08 Harley Davidson Road  King Classic,  70 Seafarer 23 Sailboat
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2002, 02:39:13 PM »

Thanks Jim.

Sure looks like a monstrosity to me. I can't believe they would build something so primitive in 1954. But then again, look at the Cat loaders even up into the 60's
:(, until they were able to use the Cletrac/Oliver patents for loader linkage.

Blake

thecatskinner
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2002, 07:01:32 PM »

Good link--thanks Jim.
Seems as though it would be a very strange machine to run:o:o
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by thecatskinner » Logged
Deas Plant
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2003, 04:43:03 PM »

Hi, Blake.
               You can find more info on the AC HD9X at IBDozing:

http://www.ibdozing.com/

Click on 'Show and Tell" then "IBDozing Projects' and the HD9X is, I think, the second project listed.
Happy hunting.
You have a wonderful day.
Best wishes.
Deas Plant.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by dplant8961 » Logged

You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.
Deas Plant
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2003, 05:08:22 PM »

Hi, Blake.
               I strongly suspect that the current Cat military dozer offering has a very similar system. Known as the Cat, DEUCE, you can see some photos of this machine and find further info. on Cat's website.

http://www.caterpillar.com/products/shared/military^US_fed._gov't/equipment/02_modified_equipment/modified_equipment.html

Dunno how that link will turn out. It's a long-un.

Happy hunting.
You have a wonderful day.
Best wishes.
Deas Plant.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by dplant8961 » Logged

You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: