Cletrac.org
August 18, 2019, 11:15:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wishing you folks all a very Merry Christmas! From Blake Malkamaki and Cletrac.org.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OOC Manifold  (Read 8597 times)
Johnny lunch pail
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2015, 07:22:44 AM »

The Manifold on my E-38 is a mess so I chose to build one out of steel. The following pictures and text illustrate how I am going about this project and weather or not i succeed, wish me luck.
The First pic is of the manifold as it looked once removed from the engine. I then cleaned up all the bolt holes and built a small frame to line everything back up and to use as an assembly jig. The next couple of pictures are of the intake/exhaust flange taking shape.

JLP
Johnny lunch pail
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 07:24:38 AM »

Here's a couple more progress pictures.....
1-1/2'' schedule 40 weld elbows are a near perfect match for the elbows on the existing manifold.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:26:57 AM by Johnny lunch pail » Logged

JLP
countryguy828
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 11:52:08 AM »

Looking good, I will be following your progress

Dave

1941 Cletrac HG
1936 Cletrac E
1949 Allis-Chalmers B
1952 Allis-Chalmers CA
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 12:23:21 PM »

Wow! It looks really good! What kind of fittings are you using to make the new one from?

Where I used to work they made their pipelines from food-grade weldable 304 SS fittings. They were all pre beveled and ready to weld. I thought those would be a good choice to build a manifold from.

Blake

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
Johnny lunch pail
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »

Hi Blake and Dave,
I'm using Domestic (Weld bend) 1-1/2'' schedule 40 long radius (2-1/4'' CLR) weld elbows. Any plumbing supply house carries them. So far the 2 intake sides are pretty much fitted out and I have been working on the exhaust ports for cylinders 2 and 3. I tried a few different layouts and the best one seems to be whats in the 2nd picture ( a combination of miter cut square tube and pipe split and welded together.
The first image shows cylinders 2 and 3's exhaust ports on the existing manifold for comparison.
The 2nd image shows how I framed those 2 exhaust ports.
Image 3 shows the exhaust flange, I put a bevel in it to accept a 2'' automotive Donut gasket, if I choose to use it.
The last picture is everything so far loosely fitted together.
I know this build is hard to follow and even harder to describe Huh.

JLP
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 07:58:42 PM »

Looks like you're doing great! I would be a little concerned with the exhaust portion rusting out if using carbon steel. It's not like cast iron. But, if you keep the machine inside and keep the manifold oiled when not in use you should be ok.

Blake

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
Johnny lunch pail
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 08:20:10 PM »

You're right about steel rusting faster than cast iron, but they don't make these manifolds any more and for the amount of use this old girls going to get, I'm sure the steel manifold will last for quite some time. Leaving it out in the weather is what caused all of the problems, She has inside storage now Grin

JLP
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 09:18:34 PM »

You'll probably be ok.

Once you get the hang of this and get the bugs worked out, I see a market for making these manifolds. There are NONE available as of now. And I think the way you are going about it is a good plan.

Johnny lunch pail
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 09:12:09 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement Blake,
Please don't jinx me by talking about selling them, I haven't gotten thru this one yet . Cutting and fitting all the pieces is one thing. welding it all together without warping the heck out of it is a whole different story, this thing still has a long way to go.

JLP
Johnny lunch pail
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 05:56:15 AM »

I welded it all together, it stayed nice and flat, here;s a couple of progress pics....

JLP
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 08:54:09 AM »

NICE !!

biggurn
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 12:35:46 PM »

I'm glad mine could be welded! Well done!

194? Cletrac HG42 w/ Allis Chalmers B125 power pack engine conversion, hydraulic dozer blade
1932 Cletrac 20C, rebuilt OOC, tractor restored to "work clothes"
1929 Case Model L tractor
1946 Mighty Midget tracked garden tractor
1948 David Bradley Garden Tractor
1983 John Deere 317 Garden Tractor w/ loader
I also collect chainsaws, air cooled engines,  and hit&miss engines.  Recently restored a Cat Sixty.
Johnny lunch pail
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 06:59:11 PM »

Hey Guys,
I had a chance to make some progress on the manifold.

JLP
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 11:35:22 PM »

Beautiful!

Bob
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 09:55:57 PM »

Dad and I with help of our welder pal patched up an intake manifold for an Allis over the summer. Welded a pipe T into it. Only problem seems to be that is has a small leak, and ices up slowly... But when new isn't available you gotta do what you can. Your manifold is looking very nice!

Certified Cletrac-tard
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: