Cletrac.org
October 17, 2017, 08:47:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 11/28/12 - Added a Calendar where members can post and view upcoming events, shows, etc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing Link - clutch  (Read 215 times)
Appleattic
phpBB Operator

View Profile WWW
« on: September 06, 2017, 12:32:53 PM »

Just started working on my "new" OC3 and realized the clutch pedal isn't hooked to anything. There is a rod with a 90 degree bend coming out of the bell housing (see photo) and it is threaded on the end.

This is my first OC3 and I have never seen one at a local show so I don't know what I am supposed to have as a linkage between the clutch pedal and throw-out bearing. Can anyone tell me what parts I need, am missing, or need to fabricate or buy?
 A photo would be helpful!

Jerry Fields
'53 OC-3 with Ware 3WI loader
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 07:38:22 PM »

Some of our other OC-3 experts might have an idea, but I don't know what that 90 deg bend in the rod is for. I don't think it's supposed to be there. Should be a yoke theaded on to the rod and attached to the pedal.

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
Appleattic
phpBB Operator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:18:57 AM »

According to the good folks at Zimmerman I should have a rod, spring, and offset clevis to connect the clutch pedal to the throw-out bearing. Parts are on their way, along with tubes and hoses to connect the air cleaner to the carb. Don't have manuals yet so would still appreciate a photo of the clutch linkage if anyone has one!

Jerry Fields
hotratz
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:04:31 AM »

This pic shows what mine looks like without the clevis screwed on for the pedal attachment. IXB3 engine, OC-46.  Not sure if the OC-3 is different.

Appleattic
phpBB Operator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 09:04:56 AM »

Thanks for the photo. It gives me some idea as to what I should be looking at. Still waiting on parts, should be here early next week.

How does the linkage connect inside the bell housing, or does it just press up against something?

Jerry Fields
Bert
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 03:09:55 PM »

My HG-31 has a straight threaded rod with a spring and a yoke that attaches to the clutch pedal. It is attached to linkage inside the bell housing.

The spring is between the bell housing and the yoke.
hotratz
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 08:47:14 AM »

Sorry, just now seeing this. Here's what it looks like inside on my IXB3

Appleattic
phpBB Operator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 09:18:04 AM »

Thank you for the photo. My parts have arrived but I have not had time to install them yet.

Minor update:
I pulled the plugs (a mix of Champion J8 and others) and sprayed some Deep Creep penetrating oil into the cylinders. Removed the 2nd radiator. Removed the old fan belt. (Water pump spins free.) Removed the air cleaner assembly and dumped out a bunch of crud. Oil cup looks surprisingly clean. Removed the old heater hoses that were run to the 2nd radiator.

Am waiting on the parts and service manual ordered from Floyd County Museum so I can see where the heater hose connections should go. One hose comes out of the water pump, another comes out of the block just in front of the starter, third comes out of a port on the back of the head and runs up to the top water outlet going into the radiator.  Photos I've seen so far don't show these hoses, just the top and bottom radiator hoses. First and second hoses were the ones run to the extra radiator, water pump hose to the top port and block hose run to the bottom port. This might indicate the main radiator has problems cooling and the 2nd radiator was added as a partial solution. I'll find out as I move along.

Jerry Fields
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: