Cletrac.org
May 23, 2019, 07:51:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 8/27/14 - I just doubled the allowable attachment size to 900 KB and upped the attachment folder size. You can make your attachments bigger and easier to view now. We have much more space available than we used to.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cletrac Model BGSH  (Read 1179 times)
hsaele12
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2017, 07:40:55 AM »

This is my first post on this site, I acquired my BGSH about 25 years ago and it has be in my quonset ever since.  The engine was half ripped apart at that time and missing parts.  I removed it at that time and found it to be in ruff shape.  As time pasted an older friend of mine told me he had a 27 Massey Harris Combine in an old shed with a Hercules engine in it.  He had purchased this machine new and the engine was original.  Massey used the Hercules engine for one year.  He never told me that I could take the engine out.  Again time pasted and as he got older one day he said "you better get that engine" which I did with the help of my Son-in-law, he passed away about 8 months later.  It was also stored in my Quonset for many years (maybe 10), last week I loaded it and took it from the farm to my home and am now starting to work on it.  It appears to be a perfect fit as best I can see.  I haven't  even checked to see if it will turn over.  Over the years I have placed diesel fuel in cylinders and also a mix of ATF and Acetone. 
So that is my story, I have never driven a crawler and am how 72 years old so if I plan to drive this one I better get to it.
My BGSH has the serial # 8C960 and looks to have been built in 1946.  I don't know much about it, it never has had a blade on it and appears to have only been used as a pull crawler.  The sheet metal is in good condition, I will see if I can post a few pictures in the future.  One thing I know for sure is I have a lot to learn about this machine, any advice you guys have will be greatly appreciated.   

1 - BGSH Cletrac pull crawler mfg date 1946
Michael30.06
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 02:07:59 AM »

Fantastic history, now we need pictures, well done for having the foresite to lube the pistons and bores while it has been waiting.

OC-6D
hsaele12
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 10:46:34 AM »

Its been quite some time since my first post.  Summer gets busy and now the weather has turned cold, 1 this morning.  I am going to try and post a few pictures of the progress made this pass summer.  Didn't get as far as I wanted, thought I would get the Hercules engine in the crawler but didn't make it.  Now I can't find all my pictures, so if the first picture posts you can see what I found when I took the engine apart last Nov.  I will find the more recent pictures and get them posted so you can see how things are going.

hsaele12
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 12:51:35 PM »

Found my pictures, engine is ready except the carb had to be finished.

hsaele12
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 12:53:07 PM »

two more photos.

countryguy828
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 09:20:16 PM »

Keep the pictures coming, can't wait to see it completed.

Dave

1941 Cletrac HG
1936 Cletrac E
1949 Allis-Chalmers B
1952 Allis-Chalmers CA
hsaele12
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 10:53:43 AM »

The progress is very slow this winter, its just been too cold.  Shop is nice and warm but one has to get there.  Have gotten a few smaller pieces taken care of.  Battery box is now done and stored away and am working on the carb.  Just got the kit this week.  I did want to put the Tillotson back on it but have now given up on it.  Put it all in a box and maybe someday someone will need parts from it.  I am going to use a Zenith Carb. that was on a newer Hercules JXC engine, the engine I rebuilt.  I will post a few pictures of the Battery Box and the Tillotson Carb.  I took pictures of the Zenith and then accidentally deleted them.  Stay warm everyone.

TomA
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 02:05:04 PM »

hi hsaele12,

It is warming up, please get busy, you are almost there. I would like to see it run too. I always wanted to try farming steep sidehill with a BGH. I think it might be better than a Cat.

My first tractor when I was 16 was a Cletrac AG. Later came a HG which I put a dozer blade on. I farmed side hills with the AG and cut and raked hay with the HG. Later I sold them and have all Cats now. I still have a lot of respect for Cletracs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: