Cletrac.org
November 20, 2017, 08:40:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 8/27/14 - I just doubled the allowable attachment size to 900 KB and upped the attachment folder size. You can make your attachments bigger and easier to view now. We have much more space available than we used to.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I have the correct engine for my BGSH?  (Read 165 times)
hsaele12
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2017, 07:29:13 AM »

I have a Model BGSH serial # 8C960 built in 1946, I don't know what engine was in it originally, I am replacing it with a Hercules model JXC and am wondering if this is the same engine?  thank you for any help you can give me.

1 - BGSH Cletrac pull crawler mfg date 1946
Robert Barbour
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 11:14:51 AM »

The original engine was a JXD engine. It has a bigger bore than the JXC.  Both engines will fit, but there are two kinds of JX engines. Those with 3 timing gears and those with 5. Cletrac used the 5 gear engine and it has provision for the governor the 3 gear engine does not.  Look at the front gear cover on your JXC, if it is wider than the block on both sides it is a 5 gear engine, if only on one side, a 3 gear engine.  You could use a 3 gear engine but you would need to install some kind of belt driven governor or a foot gas pedal!

Robert from Vancouver Island BC
hsaele12
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:02:24 PM »

Thanks for the information Robert I will check and see which engine I have.

hsaele12
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 06:00:12 AM »

Checked the JXC last night and appears to have the wide front cover with the governor on one side and water pump on the other.  Now I just have to figure out how to get 6 ext. valves out.  Mice have gotten in the ext. manifold some time over the last 50 years. It hasn't been going very well.  We took the JXC engine out of a 27 Massy Harris Combine.   

Robert Barbour
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 12:23:39 PM »

That is good that you have the correct engine set up. Do you have the old engine?  You will need the bellhousing from it.  This is just a flat plate that is between the engine and clutch housing, it is unique to the Cletrac.  Zimmerman Oliver-Cletrac may have one if you need it.

Robert from Vancouver Island BC
hsaele12
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 09:12:24 PM »

Yes I have the bellhousing that is correct. I did get all the valves out today I had to use heat to loosen them up and then slowly push him out with the lifter adjustment. Now I will start working on getting the Pistons loose which I don't think are stuck too bad. The old engine was toast but I do have all the parts that came with it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:14:32 PM by hsaele12 » Logged

hsaele12
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 09:24:11 PM »

I have the engine completely disassembled and the block and associated parts are at the machine shop.  Question, I get an error when trying to open paint codes.  What is the correct paint color and is the engine same color as the crawler?

Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 01:09:05 AM »

I'm not sure if it will work, but if the pistons from the JXD are good, you might be able to have the block bored to fit them.

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
hsaele12
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 06:41:49 PM »

Decided to put the jxc engine in aside from the valves needing attention the rest of engine looks good.  It will probably will not see hard work again.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: