Cletrac.org
October 15, 2018, 10:22:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wishing you folks all a very Merry Christmas! From Blake Malkamaki and Cletrac.org.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OC-3 auxiliary transmission  (Read 680 times)
yonson
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2018, 03:17:11 PM »

Haven't posted here in a while.  Am strongly considering installing Model A auxiliary trans in my '52 OC-3 as per the 2 write-ups found on this site.   Anyone know where I might find adapters & related items needed for the project?  Thanx
Jim Leap
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:55:06 PM »

Hello,

Since you've got 36 views and no replies I'll take a stab at a reply to your question about where to get adapters etc. for a Model A transmission install in an OC3. I'm no expert here - I've got one HG with a model A transmission and I am in the process of setting up my second HG with a model A transmission. I am fairly familiar with the conversion process and, unless you can find a "Trasco" unit, you will need to provide adapter plate specs to a qualified fabrication shop and have them build the adapter. Obviously you will need the Model A transmission too. The adapters are easy to make but they take time and attention to detail to get them properly lined up and to get the spacings correct relative to the input shaft, throw out bearing etc. The fabrication instructions on this site are well written and should get you headed in the right direction. There are lots of options for the "U joint" assembly. It needs to be short enough to fit between the Model A transmission and the Clark transmission. You can use a Model A U-joint but I think a better approach is to have a fabrication shop build something that will allow you to remove the U-joints without moving the transmission or engine to allow clearance. The design in the write-up will work and is simple to build. As far as I know there are no "kits" commercially available for this conversion. Hopefully some other viewers will chime in here. There is a heading on this site specific to auxiliary transmissions under the HG heading. That would be a better location for this discussion.

Jim

Jim Leap
HG 68
HG 42
yonson
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 11:30:01 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  I have examined the process posted by John De Marrais and subsequent update by Dick Wolcott (both are very informative articles) and as a retired machinist/machine tool rebuilder, am aware of the need for accuracy.  Was hoping for the off chance that someone might have some of the pieces for sale as I do not have access to machine tools & would have to farm it all out. 

yonson
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 10:40:15 AM »

BTW, I could have posted to the HG auxiliary trans site but it seems to have been dormant for the past 7 months.  Hence, my post to this site, which is somewhat more active.
5000-nut
phpBB Operator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 07:29:58 PM »

If you have a good drill press and bits you will be ok. Big hole I think is 4" that's the hardest to cut. A small lathe and you can made a drive shaft..  I would post pics but never have to this site and not sure how to, but if someone would type up how I will post picks of my build

Oc3
1956oc3
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 08:06:53 PM »

Hi, I too am collecting the parts to do this. I have a transmission, clutch plate and a spare bell housing to chop down. Just need the shaft parts and the time to do it. Pics of your build would be great.

Scottie
Doug424
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 07:43:45 AM »

I was working on this a few years ago and started to get castings made based on the Trasco unit. I got a pattern made and made a couple of castings. The casting cost is rather high and trying to find an iron foundry today that will make them isn't easy thanks to the government forcing all the small foundries out of business.  I may try again as I heard of a foundry that may make them, but cost is the main factor.

HG's (several) OC-3's, (many), OC-4, OC-46,
OC-96, OC-12, OC-126, Cletrac AD2
Cletrac DD, Cletrag AG-6
Many other Crawlers, Tons of junk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: