Cletrac.org
September 22, 2019, 10:06:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wishing you folks all a very Merry Christmas! From Blake Malkamaki and Cletrac.org.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cletrac MG-1 information  (Read 7747 times)
redlineoryourmine
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2003, 09:21:01 PM »

i am interested in finding out more about the cletrac tractors but cannot find any info about them if anyone could point me in the right direction of whare to look i will be glad to check it out. why are cletrac not too popular? thanks Buck
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by redlineoryourmine » Logged
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 10:32:03 PM »

I think this is your best starting place for Cletrac information.

As far as popularity, it all depends on the area and whether there was a good dealer there. In some areas Cletracs are very very popular and in other areas Caterpillar or Allis Chalmers are more prevelent. It's like that with other tractors too, not just crawlers.

Blake
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
redlineoryourmine
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 10:01:17 AM »

a guy at work who builds caterpillar tractors makes fun of my cletrac Mg-1 tractors and sure wish i had some info that would blow some smoke up his rear he is currently restoring a ten and has just got done with a thirty. im hopeing to get one of mine up and in show condition and let the people decide which is better that is when im setting there blowing stuff off with the compressor and working with some nice lighting from the generator. that is if i can get the parts to make them work. if all else fails hope it wins just because its so cool but once again he only thinks the cats are good cletrac sucks and not just the MG-1 he says they all do can you supply enough info that i can get back at him? i hate being made fun of about a hobby and such a cool machine. ow ya there is a little cletrac here in town for sale its pretty darn small it has the same tank as mine does for fuel other than that i dont know the model. ill look if anyone is interested. thanks for your help blake it may be worth it to here him squeel.
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 10:56:57 AM »

I had a few Cat Tens several years ago. They are cute and fun to drive, but they are very primitive compared to Cletracs of the same year (1930). My Cletrac E will out work it, out pull it, run circles around it, and use less fuel too. And it only weighs a bit more.

Cletrac was a bigger company than Caterpillar during World War 2. And Cletracs were ahead of Cat technology-wise until the late 50s when Oliver was mismanaging the company and taking the profits for wheel tractors. Cletrac had modern front end loaders in the early 50s and Cat did not have a decent one until the late 60s (977K) when they used the Cletrac design in their loader linkage.

Cat used cumbersome pony motors to start their diesels. Cletrac used electric start so one didn't have to start two engines. Many times the pony motor was more of a pain to start than the big engine.

There's more, but you may not be able to get a die-hard Cat guy to listen anyway.

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 11:00:33 AM »

And look at high sprocket drive... The Cletrac F had it in 1920! Cletrac had rubber tracks in WW2 (your MG 1) and a rubber tracked HG then (experimental). And now Cat's using controlled differential steerin in their farm crawlers.

redlineoryourmine
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 11:31:28 PM »

sorry im not sure whare to post this but do you have photos to see what letter or numbers refer to what crawler tractor so that us newbes can identify what we are reading about or may see in our journies. i have a hard time telling what is what. thanks
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 08:03:38 AM »

Look in the Photo Album. There are many specification sheets in there for the older models.

John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 04:28:43 PM »

I just saw an eBay ad for a VINTAGE MILITARY CLETRAC MG-1 SERVICE MANUAL 1944 Item number: 3875968651

Ad says: This old manual is in kind of rough shape, but has a wealth of information in it! It's wrinkled up and shows water stains, but all the pages are there and they are not stuck together at all. The book is totally usable. It just doesn't look very nice. It's dated 1944. It covers the JA and DA serial numbers. The MG-1 manuals are hard to come by, so don't miss out on this one. Selling with no reserve! Starting bid is $9.99
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John D » Logged

John D
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
Albert Duroe
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 08:29:31 AM »

I justed finished a long article about the MG1 that will be this summers HPOCA magazine.  I found some information from 1943 about JOHN Deere 's part in the manufacturing.  Sparky Duroe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Albert Duroe » Logged
cletracboy
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 01:15:28 PM »

Is there any chance of you posting that article on here or emailing it too me as I would be very interested in reading it.  

I used to be a member of HPOCA until they let Sherry go  :(  . I had signed up previously for 2 years membership but when the subscriptions were contracted out I got 2 copies each time instead and I never got any replies to my emails.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by cletracboy » Logged

I live in England, got interested in Cletrac's when I brought an Oliver BD in 2001, I now have an Oliver BD a Cletrac BDH and another BDH for parts and have just brought a 1919 model H. I also have a british built Track Marshall 90.  Always keen to hear from fellow collectors.
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 04:49:35 PM »

Quote from: "cletracboy"
Is there any chance of you posting that article on here or emailing it too me as I would be very interested in reading it.  .

Yea, send it and I'll post it on the site. That is, unless you've given them exclusive rights to publish it.

Albert Duroe
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 07:24:44 PM »

I will send a copy to Blake as soon as it is published.   Cletracboy I would be happy to sign you back up to the HPOCA, just email me your address.  Spark
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Albert Duroe » Logged
cletracboy
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 05:02:15 PM »

Thanks for that I'll look forward to reading it on the forum.  I would be reluctant to re-join unless there have been some changes to the commitee.  Also I was always a bit disapointed by the lack of cletrac related articles.  Sam

NB. Realy enjoying reading Oliver Heritage, look forward each issue. Excellent article by Landis on using Cletracs in snow and on tracks, it got me thinking, and I'm going to go out and measure my tracks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by cletracboy » Logged

I live in England, got interested in Cletrac's when I brought an Oliver BD in 2001, I now have an Oliver BD a Cletrac BDH and another BDH for parts and have just brought a 1919 model H. I also have a british built Track Marshall 90.  Always keen to hear from fellow collectors.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: