Cletrac.org
June 30, 2022, 03:11:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wishing you folks all a very Merry Christmas! From Blake Malkamaki and Cletrac.org.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: engine choice  (Read 4254 times)
James Cumbo
« on: November 19, 2003, 10:51:12 PM »

I am looking at purchasing a ADH model cletrac but it has no motor.  Blake told me it had a DOOC motor in it.  Is that an easy to find motor or is there an alternative motor that I can put into it?  Finances are going to be a diciding factor.  If the DOOC is readily available then is it costly to rebuild?  Thanks for any help that I can get.  James
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by James Cumbo » Logged
Sparky
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 12:33:25 AM »

This could be a hard engine to find and Expensive.  I would  recomend a 226 continental (used in the AG-6)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Sparky » Logged
James Cumbo
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 08:14:13 PM »

the 226 is a six cylinder not a four right?  I don't have the room for a six unless i extend the front out and i don't want to do that.  Is there any other four cylinder desiels that would fit and bolt up to this cletrac that had a hurcules dooc motor in it.  The model is an adh.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by James Cumbo » Logged
John Schwiebert
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 09:37:05 PM »

First of all think of this. The AG (gas) had a 4 cylinder Herculess OOC. Then when the goverment said to Cletrac no more OOC engines for you durring World War 2 they went to the six cylinder Continental, still 226 Cubic inch engine. That is how the AG-6 developed. Without digging into my parts books or better yet ask one of these guys for some dimensions but I do not think it will be that bad a conversion. Sometimes at the little show in Fort Wayne a man takes a model E Cletrac which also used the OOC, and he has a 226 or 209 Continetal in it and you would swear it is a factory conversion repower job. On the diesel, Hercules has a 212 (rare) and a 226 Diesel in a DD motor, but they are not the easiest to find parts for. Now you are trying to get into the same size bell housings, adapting the flywheel and clutch to match up. If you want a more modern engine I would look at a 236 or 248 Perkins, why Plentiful and pretty good engines.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John Schwiebert » Logged

John Schwiebert
John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 10:01:41 AM »

James,
I would have to check my book, but I believe the AG frame is the same length for the 4 and 6 cyl models (whether gas or diesel).  

Here's a link to a photo of my AG-6 engine bay for your reference:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ykcw/site ... 60h420.jpg

Good luck with your project.  And keep asking questions - there's a wealth of knowledge out here.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John D » Logged

John D
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: