Cletrac.org
August 10, 2022, 09:34:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 11/28/12 - Added a Calendar where members can post and view upcoming events, shows, etc.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tracks  (Read 5629 times)
RLH
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2004, 10:06:22 PM »

What would cause the tracks to want to come off when turning or when on the side of a hill? On my bdh the one sprocket will ride up on the chain and the track will come off if I don't see it in time.
Randy
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by RLH » Logged
RLH
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 10:54:47 PM »

What was happening was the chain was jumping off the lower rollers when turning, then the sprocket would ride up on the side of the chain. I tighened the tracks some and has seemed to help. Still wants to do it somtimes, not sure why. The sprockets on this machine were badly worn. I took 1/4" thick pipe and cut sections the same width as the sprocket and cut them in half, then welded them to the sprocket. Seemed to work real well. Maybe this has something to do with the tracks wanting to come off?
Randy
Bob
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 08:51:49 PM »

Are the rock guards bent out along the bottom? I guess if they are bolted together so they won't spread apart or bend, the tracks stay on better. I need to try it on my AG6.
                                       Bob

P.S. They are called Clattertracs when the tracks fall off.  LOL
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Bob » Logged

Certified Cletrac-tard
rustyiron2
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 09:28:06 PM »

I would think that the pins and bushings are wore as well. If you had to build up your sprocket then most times the rails (chain) is wore out too. Can you move the track shoes? what I mean is if you grab on to the shoe on the out side and try to move it up and down and if it does then they are  most likely wore out. I am no mechanic or professinal but I work with heavey equipment every day. Also if you reach up inside the rail where the sprocket runs what does the bushings feel like are they flat spotted? Are they wore though into the pins. Rollers that are wore down can caues this to. Rock guards will help keep everything in place but that is not there primary job they basicly just keep rocks from going in and throwing a track. Track tension is important as well if there to lose they will come off and to tight and you will wear them out fast. Front idlers being out of wack will also cause the track to come off. By the way I just joined today and in the process of buying a Cletrac model 20 C. I live in Gettysburg Pa. If you in Fredrick Md there used to be a BD up above Thurmont in parts missing the engine and sheet metal but every thing else was there. If I can remember how to get back to it that was 8 years ago or so.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by rustyiron2 » Logged
RLH
phpBB Master Operator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 10:18:12 PM »

The pins and bushings have some wear, but I dont't think it is that bad, no flat spots, the chain shows a good bit of wear. The track shoes are in good condition. It has rock gards on the inside, none on the outside. Maybe I should try to find some. I would interested in finding the BD if it is still there.
Randy
Bob
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 05:53:59 PM »

Whenever I go through a dip the tracks droop underneith and come off the back track wheel. If you catch it in time you can drive over something tall and skinny (a stack of 2x4s) and the track USUALLY goes back on. In turn the rock guards being on will help keep the tracks on. I guess the oilmen up here did this to help keep them on.

I have dibs on a bascially brand new set of tracks. They are grousere olny used like one season on a pulling tractor. (no blade)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Bob » Logged

Certified Cletrac-tard
Jim
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 12:27:52 PM »

I have a BDH that has tight tracks. Just got it and the previous owner must have tightened them to avoid jumping the sprockets. They look worn. I see you made up some pieces to rejuvinate the tracks. Good idea. Glad to hear that works. Any problems or tips about that proceedure? I may have to do it to mine. Thanks.  Jim
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Jim » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: