Cletrac.org
August 10, 2022, 08:22:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 8/27/14 - I just doubled the allowable attachment size to 900 KB and upped the attachment folder size. You can make your attachments bigger and easier to view now. We have much more space available than we used to.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How do you use your Cletrac/Oliver?  (Voting closed: June 19, 2002, 04:35:55 PM)
Excavating - 8 (14.8%)
Logging - 2 (3.7%)
Farming - 2 (3.7%)
Just around the yard - 14 (25.9%)
Take it to shows - 9 (16.7%)
It's in a museum - 0 (0%)
Still restoring it - 19 (35.2%)
Just for parts - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you use your Cletrac/Oliver?  (Read 18792 times)
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2002, 04:35:55 PM »

Do you guys use your Cletrac or Oliver crawler? Tell us what you do with it...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 08:01:45 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
tim
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2002, 04:27:55 PM »

i mainly use my cletrac to take up extra time and money.but once in a while i get the enjoy ment of plowing my field,compared to my cat 22, the cletrac is a dream to operate.  tim
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by tim » Logged
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2002, 06:35:44 AM »

compared to my cat 22, the cletrac is a dream to operate.

Ain't that the truth!! I used to have a couple Cat 10's. They're fun, but the Cletracs were way ahead and easier to run. They'd run circles around the Cats easily!:P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
MG1Mike
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2002, 10:33:45 PM »

Right now I'm using my FDE to grade up around my new house. I have an AG3 with a winch that I use to rescue dead mechines. They're mostly just big toys that I play with. Mike
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MG1Mike » Logged
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2002, 06:40:01 AM »

Wow! An FDE is a mighty big toy! That's great!

John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2002, 12:11:10 PM »

I use my AG-6 now for light landscaping duties, and trail work around the treefarm.  It took a bit of work to "bring it back" over the past 5 years.  On some of  my other vehicles, I'd say I'm doing a "rolling restoration", here I definitely can say it is a "crawling restoration"...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John D » Logged

John D
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
G Gibby
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2002, 05:53:24 PM »

I use mine for fun mostly but it can do many things I can't with my pick-up.
Gernarlly pulling, seeing that I have yet to get it stuck the truck has not faired well in this repect.
The other which is posted in the photo album  is good for plowing dirt and moving smaller boulders.
Both are runners but not what I would call restored, although I have spent alot of time puting right
past sins of the farmer mostly which was to weld in stead of fixing it properly.
The fun part is club events and grass pulls ocationally.
I participated in a Chirstmas Parade last year and it was very enjoyible.
This year I hope to bring it to the Big fair in my area, the Deerfield Fair, in Deerfield NH.
The club I belong to is planning to have corn shelling races(?)
Maybe the PTO will be of some use finally.
GG
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by G Gibby » Logged
thecatskinner
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2002, 07:34:11 AM »

Mostly I just "play".  Restoration hasn't really started yet.  
I do use it for pulling logs and occasionally a trailer.  Since all my implements are mounted, it is a little limited in what I can do with it---other than play;)WinkCheesy
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by thecatskinner » Logged
ozzy
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2002, 09:56:37 PM »

i bought mine to use aruond hunting cabin and property. going to cut some trees this winter to get sawed into lumber for addon to cabin. going to clear some spots for food plots. and make trails to hard to get to hunting spots.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by ozzy » Logged
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2002, 02:19:58 PM »

Ozzy, I sent you a U2U message - check it out. Upper right corner of your main message page.

Blake

Wes
phpBB Operator

1949 BDH

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2002, 09:47:18 PM »

I use my Cletrac BD for clearing fencelines, digging stones, and just around the yard. Someday I will restore it and take it to shows. Its a great stress releiver!

Wes
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by wbp » Logged

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
jeffry coghill
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2002, 03:11:51 PM »

my partner and i are useing " ollie " for dozing ,land clearing, logging, and loading the small sawmill, for an old timer hes not ready for retirement just yet. we also have a 1946 alles- chalmers hd14 with full hydraulics that isnt seeing any resthomes in the near future . but i suspect there is a pension in future for them         jeff
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by jeffry coghill » Logged
Bob
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2003, 04:40:47 PM »

We don't use our cletracs/oliver at all. We take them to shows is about all. Our first dozer was an Oliver HG. Rebushed most of it, rebuilt the engine and tried to use it..... Our John Deere compact backhoe could push, and pull more. As for our K-20 it is too nice to use now. Took a good 6 months to be able to drive it around. Just "show tractors". We use our Komatsu D21 dozer for real work.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Bob » Logged

Certified Cletrac-tard
groundshaker37
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2003, 01:38:53 AM »

Ibought my ddh 3 years ago in taree nsw .I got it too work with :ie:clearing and logen I put in small dams in Icharge $65perh and get it no worries its very hard too find parts  like at the moment i have a axle problem .you just cann't walk in to the nearest tractor shop and bye a axle. I payed $8000. aus for it but its not as it was it has d4d hyd and has d4 chaines  :cool:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by groundshaker37 » Logged
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 07:39:40 PM »

Carl Besola
Operator

Posted: Jan 05 2006 05:13 pm    Post subject: My Cletracs    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello folks, Carl B. from da U.P. here. The DGH Cletrac I have now, so far I have only used it on the family compound, but in the spring I may use it to bulldoze down a sand pit that I work out of, it's gettin' kind of high and dangerous. The trouble is, I have noticed that it is quite a gas guzzler, and with 2 John Deere diesel crawlers it is more cost effective to use them.[455E loader & 450D LGP dozer] I guess it all depends on how busy I am. The old Cletrac is fun to putz around with though, and I painted it up nice back in sept. [05]. A few years ago, I had an AG6 that I used to spread topsoil with on a couple of jobs, but money got a little tight that winter and I had to peddle it. We had put a nice coat of paint on that one too. That machine was an ex DNR fire fighter with fairly low hours on it. they used to sit parked on International flatbed trucks ready to roll in a moment's notice. When I was a boy my Dad went to a DNR auction and came home with 4 or 5 of them [ NO BULL] they were all the same as the one I had. At first I thought mine might have been one of them as my Mother had sold them off after Dad died, but a little bit of checking found that mine had came from downstate, apparently the MI. DNR had quite a few of them! Well built tractors, but as I recall, the AG6 was tough to operate without riding the clutch, simply because there was no other place to put your foot! Oh well, lots of fun! Thanks Carl B.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: