Cletrac.org
July 05, 2022, 07:54:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 8/27/14 - I just doubled the allowable attachment size to 900 KB and upped the attachment folder size. You can make your attachments bigger and easier to view now. We have much more space available than we used to.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternator size  (Read 5211 times)
DaveInMI
« on: September 14, 2002, 06:30:19 AM »

The standard size one-wire GM alternator looks too big to fit in the space where the generator is mounted on my OC-3.  What altenators are you guys using?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by DaveInMI » Logged
John Schwiebert
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2002, 08:11:29 AM »

Were you planning on using the Cletrac bracket? The newer Delco's apear to be smaller, but I have not measured one. Also the single wire is a conversion done by many shops. We also have a smaller Nippendenson on our John Deere farm tractors that is a Delco conversion
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John Schwiebert » Logged

John Schwiebert
G Gibby
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2002, 04:27:42 PM »

Erik,
I have a GM ST-12 altenator on my HG 68.
Your right it is big, mine hangs out a couple inches.
A GM ST-10 is a little smaller.
I had to fasion my own mounting bracket and rewire the tractor.
I bolted onto the oil filter base using longer bolts and 5/16 inch thick bar stock for the lower bracket.
A one wire altenater is what many have used but many tractors may not have enough rpm's
to excite the altenator to generate current to recharge the battery.
An altenator shop can adjust the the antenator to "come on" at lower rpm's if this is really a problem.
I wired mine convetionally so that it will generate some current at most rpm's.
I found the smallest pulley I could and put that onto the altenator to help with the rpm concerns.
I am using a car pulley and belt but wilder pulleys are availible, I think the ford model A restorer part guys
have these in stock and you can still use a orginal width belt.
I have heard of others using antenators from small japenese cars and I see no reason why they would not work.
The original gernator can be set up to generate 12volts,and use negitive ground using a cut out switch and repolarizing the magnets.
You do not need to gerate more than 10 to 20 amps maximum to charge the battery for a tractor running little more than lights and starter.
Gensales has kits for these types of conversions you may try them, Try looking at them I thay do not have anything under OC-3 or HG try looking under the Avery name as these tractors used the same Hercules engine.
I hope these ideas help.
Good Luck,
Regards,
George Gibby:)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by G Gibby » Logged
pvcarey
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2003, 10:22:02 PM »

I have not yet tried to mount an alt. on my HG or OC-3 but on my 8N ford I used a Japanese car alt and a dodge voltage reg
 The pully was two piece so I just put washers between the flanges for the wide belt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by pvcarey » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: