Cletrac.org
November 19, 2017, 04:46:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wishing you folks all a very Merry Christmas! From Blake Malkamaki and Cletrac.org.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would you use a restoration guide that would detail Color, size and placement of Logos & Decals on your Cletrac?  (Voting closed: February 18, 2005, 10:32:13 PM)
Yes, I've been looking for this information - 15 (88.2%)
Yes, and I have primary information I would share with the group - 2 (11.8%)
No - I don't need that information - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoration guide  (Read 4815 times)
John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« on: February 18, 2005, 10:32:13 PM »

Many of us who own Cletracs are using them and restoring them over time.  There is not a whole lot of guidance or standards for restoration, especially if you wish to do an authentic restoration.  If you see value in developing a restoration guide, which includes decal and logo size, content and location for your model and year, please answer the attached poll.

I've been a member of MAFCA (the OTHER Model A) for years, and they have very specific standards for restoration.  Nice to have some guidelines to compare to.  I don't envision that level of documentation, but some basic answers to questions in one place.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John D » Logged

John D
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
Blake Malkamaki
Administrator
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 01:00:45 AM »

Great idea John! Once the information is compiled, there needs to be a designation as to whether the information is absolute truth or if there is a possible descrepancy. I have just seen too many instances of tractors being different and both are right.

Blake
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Blake » Logged

My gramps Howard van Driest was Experimental Engineer at Cletrac and Oliver Corporation. After the plant closed, he and my uncle started an excavating business, initially using Cletrac and Oliver Crawler tractors. Please help Support This Site and give your business exposure by buying a business card sized ad.
cletracboy
phpBB Jobsite Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 03:51:34 PM »

I think we sometimes forget these were made as work horses and paint finish and continuity of stickers were of secondary importance at the time.  A paint supplies was telling me that although lots of ferguson parts supplier sell Ferguson grey paint advertised as being the right shade of grey, there was no fergy grey they made some many of them that they brought paint from three suppliers at a time and only specified that it be grey.  I do think a guide would be usefull though!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by cletracboy » Logged

I live in England, got interested in Cletrac's when I brought an Oliver BD in 2001, I now have an Oliver BD a Cletrac BDH and another BDH for parts and have just brought a 1919 model H. I also have a british built Track Marshall 90.  Always keen to hear from fellow collectors.
John D
phpBB THE Boss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 10:17:40 PM »

I guess that's why I called them guidelines - in the Accounting world, they have a phrase "Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures" (GAAP).  The paint discussions alone (what is Cletrac Orange??) indicate the variations.  Even getting reliable sources of Serial Numbers by Model and Year are tough.

This is why we have a forum - lots of discussion, occasional consensus, and opportunity for all to put in their 2 cents worth..

The info will be guidelines - stated facts where possible; opinions too.  Conflicting info will be noted as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by John D » Logged

John D
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
Subgates
phpBB Master Operator

Work on it a little every day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 07:25:44 PM »

Gents,

How many OC-?'s do we know or think we know are in restoration?

I'm renewing an OC-3, no serial number, engine was swapped out previously. The "Chocked Full of Nuts OC-3"

Subgates

OC3 "Chocked Full of Nuts"
Ford 8N (all done)
My Dad's 1942 John Deere LA
John Deere 310B
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: