Cletrac.org

Cletrac Tractor Discussion => All Models Except HG, OC-3, OC-4 & General => Topic started by: Philngruvy on January 04, 2006, 08:55:56 PM

Title: Cletrac Model K
Post by: Philngruvy on January 04, 2006, 08:55:56 PM
Hi everyone. My name is Ron and my wife and I have a cabin in Western North Carolina. We were out driving some back roads last week and we found an old Cletrac Model K sitting in a field. It is not in the best of shape, but I think I would like to aquire it and attempt a restoration of it. It is missing the head and manifolds, but otherwise looks pretty much intact. Would anyone care to give me an idea of what this machine would be worth. How much money should I offer for it? I realize that I have not given much info to base an accurate accessment but a ballpark type figure would be a help to me. Also, would it be possible to find a replacement head and manifolds or is this just too far gone to try to rebuild?
Ron
Title: Cletrac K
Post by: Carl Besola on January 05, 2006, 08:01:10 PM
Look at the tracks, thats where the money is or where you will have to put it. If they are worn right out, then he should just about pay you to haul it away! Especially with the engine tore down like that. Otherwise I would say start out cheap. You can always go up, but it is next to impossible to get someone's price down if you start too high. Just my take on the subject. Good luck. Carl B. from da U.P. eh pard?
Title:
Post by: Blake Malkamaki on January 05, 2006, 08:22:09 PM
Was the engine covered up after the head was removed? Or is it full of water and rust?

Blake
Title:
Post by: Philngruvy on January 05, 2006, 09:29:47 PM
The block was not covered.  Number 4 cylinder looked pretty rough.  I was wondering how much the cylinders could be bored out or if it could be re-sleeved.  The tracks looked pretty good. Of course I could only see the upper portions, not the part in contact with the ground.  The track tensioning bolts were pretty corroded and would probably need to be replaced. The steering wheel ring was missing but the spokes were intact.  The engine serial number is 16190. Any more info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Ron
Title:
Post by: Blake Malkamaki on January 07, 2006, 12:47:11 AM
As far as boring... I don't know if these engines had sleeves or not, but most engines can be bored oversized and have a new cast iron sleeve pressed in. This is probably a good way to go. I've done it on a 28-50 Hart Parr and a Cat Ten. Make sure the shop you deal with knows what they are doing and does not put them in too tight as it can split the block in two.

From your description of the tractor, I think I would stay on the low side with an offer. It may end up being a parts machine to restore another one. But don't rule anything out! Look at what one of our Swedish friends did with a W that looked to be almost scrap.

Blake
Title:
Post by: Philngruvy on January 07, 2006, 01:50:02 AM
Very good. I appreciate your input. Now ,when you say to stay on the low side, are we talking $100 or $1000? By the way, I have a digital picture of this machine if you would like to see it.  If yes, how do I post it? The pic is 466 KB in size.
Ron