Cletrac.org

Cletrac Tractor Discussion => HG, OC-3, OC-4 & General => Topic started by: Dianne on May 20, 2006, 11:09:00 AM

Title: Silicon seal - BOO HISS
Post by: Dianne on May 20, 2006, 11:09:00 AM
Thought I would pass this along in case it is of interest to anyone in the future.

I started having problems with my OC-46 last week. I went to start it last week, it ran for a few seconds and then died - sounded like fuel starvation. When I rebuilt it, I added an electric fuel pump and I know the 6 volt charging system doesn't charge so I figured the battery was too low (it uses a 12 volt battery to crank). After charging for a day, it started and ran fine yesterday for awhile and then died in the excavation - again, just like the fuel had been switched off. I managed to get it started again and got it back to the shop by running with the choke full on. At the shop I went thru the fuel system from tank to carb checking flow rate and everything was fine. In the end I found a tiny piece of silicon "gasket in a tube" stuck in the main needle valve (high speed mixture).

I have never been a fan of "gasket in a tube" and rarely use it so I know exactly where it came from! When I added the electric fuel pump, I gutted the mechanical pump and replaced the rubber diaphram with a metal plate - that was where I used silicon gasket material. (I left the mechanical pump and fuel lines in place so the crawler looked original but I don't have to crank the heck out of it if it has been sitting for months.)

I have never experienced silicon gasket material shedding thin whisps of material before but it is this time. I had the crawler quit once more in yesterday's work but, knowing the problem, all I had to do was pull the needle and blow it out - then it ran fine for the rest of the day.

If you use silicon, be aware that it can come back to bite you!

(BTW: I LOVE[/i] my little Oliver - what a SWEET tractor! I can see why they were so popular for "general work" and are still so much in demand by landscapers.)
Title: silicon
Post by: walter hudson on May 21, 2006, 12:54:13 AM
never use silicone gasket sealer if it will come in contact with gas. it is not gas resistant.