Looking for info on recently purchased (by friend) of a Cletrac with the following data:
AD-1 Serial# 32496
Hercules JX4D engine # 2560335
(has E255 CWC on it as well)
V-155d13-D on engine
Any info or links would be greatly appreciated.
Boy! that is an interesting tag for me!. I know what an AD is. I know what an AD-2 is, Now you have an AD-1 and it is before the streamlined models so without me looking it up somewhere between 36 and 39 would be the manufactured date, The catch is the engine. A JX is a gas engine . I also need to check when the JX engines were first made. Perhaps this is a replacement for the OOC engine. Can you send me a PM and a phone number and address on that. I have questions for you! perhaps we can trade information
Jeff, is there a diesel engine in there? Or did someone switch it?
This is mystery one that should be fun to solve.
Blake
It does have a gasoline, 4 cylinder engine.
Pretty sure it's a Hercules.
Thanks for the info.
That engine is a 4 cylinder version of the six cylinder JX engines used in the B models plus several other older Cletracs. John
So is this AD-1 supposed to be a diesel, or is that the original engine?
Blake
Thanks for all the replies...just found out the Cletrac has a plate on the firewall with AD H (looks like an H more than a 1), with the serial number 3Z496.
I made a website with a few pictures of the Cletrac and closeups of the engine... if anyone would care to view them. Link below:
http://users.1st.net/web1/jv/cletrac.htm (http://users.1st.net/web1/jv/cletrac.htm)
The friend who bought it is in need of a water pump that will work with this engine. Still think it's a JX gasoline 4 cylinder.
Thanks.
That solves the mystery of the "AD-1".
Does anyone know what this 4 cylinder Hercules would have been used for?
Blake
Blake..in regard to "what were these engines used for"...been finding some history of the Hercules engines while I have been searching for a water pump for the Cletrac.
This site has a good brief history of the Hercules company:
http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/complete-archive/2363/ (http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/complete-archive/2363/)
Apparently they turned out "hundreds of thousands" for the military in WWII in all kinds of uses including small armored vehicles (the 6 cylinder), 8 million candle power antiaircraft search lights (4 cylinder)...the Herc engine turned the lights and powered the generator I suppose.
http://www.geocities.com/bobz299/search ... htm#ENGINE (http://www.geocities.com/bobz299/searchlight2.htm#ENGINE)
http://www.robertsarmory.com/m8.htm (http://www.robertsarmory.com/m8.htm)
Jeff
Quote from: "Jeff777"Blake..in regard to "what were these engines used for"...been finding some history of the Hercules engines while I have been searching for a water pump for the Cletrac.
Jeff, I meant this particular model Hercules. What was it used in?
Blake