I have a HG42 (56GA676) Dont know the year?? I have had it for 10 years and it was left out for one winter and the clutch froze to the fly wheel. Yesterday's tractor site has a 9" clutch disc which I believe I need. It also has a pressure plate. Mine seems to work but Im just wondering if I should replace it while I am in there? I was also told that I need a through out bearing but have not seen one on that site. Any ideas where else I can try to find one? Any suggestions on what I should replace while its apart would be helpful. I dont know anything about these. Thanks for your help in advance!
Quote from: "Erik HG42"I have a HG42 (56GA676) Dont know the year?? I have had it for 10 years and it was left out for one winter and the clutch froze to the fly wheel. Yesterday's tractor site has a 9" clutch disc which I believe I need. It also has a pressure plate. Mine seems to work but Im just wondering if I should replace it while I am in there? I was also told that I need a through out bearing but have not seen one on that site. Any ideas where else I can try to find one? Any suggestions on what I should replace while its apart would be helpful. I dont know anything about these. Thanks for your help in advance!
Hi Erik,
Welcome to the Cletrac forum! You've come to the right place to find the info you need. The HG models started with Serial number 55GA858 in 1951, so you've got one of the tractors that was made in the final year of a 13-year production run.
Zimmermans is the best source for parts (and service).
Good luck!
You may not need new parts if you can un-stick it. Read here...
http://cletrac.org/newbb/viewtopic.php? ... uck+clutch (http://cletrac.org/newbb/viewtopic.php?t=1080&highlight=stuck+clutch)
Another thing you might try, is to start and warm it up, get the battery up, in neutral. Then try and start it IN high gear.
Before doing so, you need something like a stump to bump the blade/ tracks, etc against, pile of dirt, etc. or BIG chain and big tree. In other words you want a load on the chassis to work against, while holding the clutch down
You want a higher gear rather than a lower gear, because since the tractor chassis is harder to move in higher gears, this puts more load on the clutch--the very thing you are trying to break loose.
If you have a dozer, it should be easy--just find a likely spot and lower the blade!!
I unstuck mine by blocking down the pedal, pulling the starter and prying on the edge of the clutch disk with a flat blade wrecking bar. Popped right loose.