Cletrac.org

Cletrac Tractor Discussion => HG, OC-3, OC-4 & General => Topic started by: wesocec on May 02, 2009, 08:22:12 PM

Title: just got a Cletrac HG and wondering year built? Etc...
Post by: wesocec on May 02, 2009, 08:22:12 PM
I just got it.  It has an IXK-3 SN#1278044 with a knock but all else runs good.  Turns good.  The plate on the right side just behind the rear sprocket says  "23GAO46"  I am guessing this is the serial number.  Anyone know what year?  It has a water pump on the IXK-3 which must have come factory.  It doesn't look like an afterthought.  No noise from tranny but will probably need a clutch soon.  I am guessing the knock is from a rod bearing but haven't pulled the pan yet.  Babbetted bearings maybe?  If so is it better to redo these or go with shell bearings from a IXB-3 motor rods and use my pistons?
Title: Re: just got a Cletrac HG and wondering year built? Etc...
Post by: John D on May 03, 2009, 05:35:20 PM
Quote from: "wesocec"I just got it.  It has an IXK-3 SN#1278044 with a knock but all else runs good.  Turns good.  The plate on the right side just behind the rear sprocket says  "23GAO46"  I am guessing this is the serial number.  Anyone know what year?  It has a water pump on the IXK-3 which must have come factory.  It doesn't look like an afterthought.  No noise from tranny but will probably need a clutch soon.  I am guessing the knock is from a rod bearing but haven't pulled the pan yet.  Babbetted bearings maybe?  If so is it better to redo these or go with shell bearings from a IXB-3 motor rods and use my pistons?
A 23GA046 would be a 1946.  They started the 1947's with S/N 25GA240
Title:
Post by: wesocec on May 03, 2009, 08:34:17 PM
Thank you John D!  I wasn't sure if the 46 at the end meant the year or not and had no idea about the first two numbers.
Title: HG Serial number
Post by: John Schwiebert on May 04, 2009, 12:30:06 AM
In that time period Cletrac did not use odd serial numbers. There was a kit to add the water pump as it was not standard till later. I posted some service bulletins in changes that occured in the production of the HG. You might find some of that information interesting. I would like to know what color your tractor was to start with. The Hg was the only one that ever got painted green. I saw an early 1947 model once and it was still orange. Maybe ordered that way.
Title:
Post by: wesocec on May 04, 2009, 05:30:12 AM
Yes, I can see the water pump hose connections is different than my friends OC-3 with IXB-3 in it.  I am happy it has the pump rather than the thermosiphon.  I have a Yanmar tractor with the thermosiphon and it is just a hard thing for me to trust even though the principle is sound.  On that machine you must be very careful as to what amount of coolant you use or the rise/flow of the mixture is not adequate.  I will post some pictures here as soon as I figure it out.  The cletrac has mostly a dark green on the working units and frame. Where the body steel is mainly primer.  The seat, rear passenger track guards, pto shield, and steering levers are a mustard yellowish color.  The frame and what not appears to have a darker brown primer underneath where the green has been damaged.
Title:
Post by: wesocec on May 04, 2009, 05:42:06 AM
That is the only one I could get on here.  You can see the red where someone sprayed the blade and part of the rear sprockets.  probably at the same time.
Title:
Post by: Gazer61 on May 04, 2009, 04:37:39 PM
John

Maybe I read this wrong but
I do believe that the OC-3 was green from its beginning to mid 1952. My dads is green and it was bought that way, Walter Hudson also has a green one.
QuoteThe Hg was the only one that ever got painted green. I saw an early 1947 model once and it was still orange. Maybe ordered that way.
Title: OC-3 Color
Post by: John Schwiebert on May 06, 2009, 12:57:26 AM
Sorry I forgot that. I know a guy that has (had?)one of each color.