Cletrac.org

Cletrac Tractor Discussion => HG, OC-3, OC-4 & General => Topic started by: kyle on July 06, 2010, 04:58:52 PM

Title: Hercules IXB with Distributor
Post by: kyle on July 06, 2010, 04:58:52 PM
I am in the process of rebuilding the engine on my OC-3. It has the IXB-3 engine. I have taken the whole motor apart, sent it out to be bored and the shaft ground. I have purchsed all ne bearings, pistons and what not to put the engine back together. I read somewhere about changing the magneto out with a distributor from a Farmall H. I have purchased a distributor from a junkyard ad I am in the process of rebuilding. The tractor had already been converted over to 12V with an alternator. Has anyone attemted this conversion or seen it done before? Does it work and are there any pointers I should look out for? Any advise or words of wisdom on putting my engine back together would be appreciated. I am confident with my mechanic skills but a second opion is always appreciated.
Thank you,
Kyle
Title: Re: Hercules IXB with Distributor
Post by: Robert Barbour on July 07, 2010, 01:44:00 AM
To put a distributor on an engine that originally had a mag, you need to change the camshaft and front gear cover.  The camshaft has an extra gear at the front to drive the distributor and gear cover has the mounting arrangement for the distrubutor.  Both setups were originally available from Hercules at the buyer option.  Oliver always used the Mag.
Title: Re: Hercules IXB with Distributor
Post by: kyle on July 07, 2010, 12:39:35 PM
The setup fro the Farmll H has the same drive setup as the magneto had as well as the same bolt pattern. In theory it should be able tp bolt right on and connect the same way. I am getting the engine block back from the machinist later this week. I will be sure to let everyone know how it works once I get it together. My onl concern is getting the timing right. NAy suggestions on that would be helpful.
Title: Re: Hercules IXB with Distributor
Post by: oliverchris on July 11, 2010, 09:30:26 PM
Here's one that replaced the magneto. I took it off a 1947 HG.
I also have an OC3-31 sidewalk plow with one...
Title: Re: Hercules IXB with Distributor
Post by: kyle on July 12, 2010, 12:14:53 AM
thank you for the picture. that looks just like the distributor i got off of the Farmall. How well does the set up work for you?
Title: Re: Hercules IXB with Distributor
Post by: oliverchris on July 12, 2010, 12:22:30 AM
Hi Kyle. Well the OC3-31 one is non-operational at present, so I cannot comment on it as I have never had her running. Call me in 2020 ;-) STILL looking for a lefthandside track frame support for that! Let me know if you know of one for sale...
I do have a '45 HG42 with a distributor, but the genset engine type, mounted up by the water pump. It works 100% great! I will post a pic of that soon....
Title: Re: Hercules IXB with Distributor
Post by: kyle on July 19, 2010, 04:17:34 PM
Here is a pincture of the setup that I am using with the distributor. The coil is a bit long with the wires hooked up and interferes with the carburator and timing cover so i had to turn it around. I am confident that it will work well. I am hoping ot have the engine buttoned up by the weekend and give it a test run. the engine is in various stages of prep and paint. The previous owner converted it to 12 volt and I am going to keep it that way for now.
Title: Re: Hercules IXB with Distributor
Post by: kyle on July 19, 2010, 04:27:48 PM
ANother picture of the engine
Title: Re: Hercules IXB with Distributor
Post by: TDLMOMOWERS on July 21, 2010, 03:37:10 AM
Are you using a coil with built in resistance or are you going to use an extenal ballast resistor ?
Title: Re: Hercules IXB with Distributor
Post by: kyle on July 21, 2010, 01:24:05 PM
I have a 12V coil with built in resistance.
Title: Re: Hercules IXB with Distributor
Post by: oliverchris on September 12, 2010, 10:40:57 PM
I have an HG distributor & coil set-up for sale (the orange one pictured above)...came off a 1947 Cletrac HG with IXK3 but will fit an OC3 with IXB3...
PM me if interested. Chris [note: now SOLD on eBay]