Cletrac.org

Cletrac Tractor Discussion => All Models Except HG, OC-3, OC-4 & General => Topic started by: Blake Malkamaki on April 18, 2011, 03:20:40 AM

Title: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: Blake Malkamaki on April 18, 2011, 03:20:40 AM
Folks, I just posted some pictures of the OC-5 experimental tractor at http://cletrac.org/photos/categories.php?cat_id=25

These particular tractors are marked as OC-4A (dozers) and OC-56 (loaders). I'm not sure why they are marked differently, or if there are any internal differences.

I don't know how many were made, or what ever became of them. There is a chance some may still exist. The Zimmermans claim to have one or know of one.

I doubt more than a handful of people have ever heard of the OC-5. I scanned these pictures today from slides I have had for about 30 years, so this is the first time anyone has seen them.

The slides are dated October 1961.

Blake
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: ianoz on April 18, 2011, 06:09:57 AM
 Great Photos Blake  :).Thank you for sharing them with us . Ian .
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: Bob on April 18, 2011, 11:41:45 AM
I saw them one time!! brag brag brag ;D

Thanks for putting them up
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: Doug424 on April 19, 2011, 03:28:02 PM
Looks they had a lot of similiarities to the OC-9 & 96. Do you know if they used the same style drivetrain? How about the motors?
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: Blake Malkamaki on April 19, 2011, 11:57:28 PM
I don't know Doug. Maybe someone else will know. Ray Zimmerman knows some about them, but I'm not sure whether he monitors the forum now.

I think the steering is more like the OC-4 - probably Spot Turn, but maybe controlled differential was available too for farming (??) The steering levers look like they almost go under the seat. And there are no brake drums in the back like the OC-9 has.

Blake

Quote from: Doug424 on April 19, 2011, 03:28:02 PM
Looks they had a lot of similiarities to the OC-9 & 96. Do you know if they used the same style drivetrain? How about the motors?
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: clueless on May 17, 2011, 03:07:48 PM
Sorry for the late reply; haven't been in site for awhile.
I was in a 94 Clevite bearing catalog a day or so ago looking for something Oliver, and OC5 sounded familiar. Looked again and it lists an OC5G as a tractor with a Wauk 185, but doesn't say which 185. Wauk section lists seven 185 dsl and seven 185 gas.
Could be a misprint, as checking 5-6 other parts catalogs doesn't show any OC5. That Clevite catalog doesn't list Cletrac and only lists Oliver OC4, 5G, 6 and 6d, the 5G, 6 and 6D all with "Wauk 185".
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: John Schwiebert on May 19, 2011, 01:25:09 AM
I doubt if it was a 185 Waukesha. Believe me those catalogs leave a lot to be desired. I think they used the 169 Hercules. I also know that one was built with a Perkins.
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: Blake Malkamaki on May 30, 2011, 06:25:02 PM
I just found out from my uncle that one of the OC-5s was actually at our farm for some time. Unfortunately, it was before I was born, so I don't remember it.
Blake
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: Bob on June 01, 2011, 03:29:15 PM
He said it was more like an overgrown OC4
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: oliverchris on August 01, 2013, 03:21:50 PM
Taking Blake's photos, there is evidence for four of these experimental machines:
a gas-powered dozer labelled as an OC4-A [looks like a 3 cylinder Hercules];
a gas-powered logging-rig loader labelled OC-56 [looks like a 3 cylinder Series B Hercules - just looking at position of air cleaner];
a regular loader with a diesel, labelled OC-56 [almost certainly the one John mentions as having a Perkins];
an unlabelled agricultural machine - probably gas? probably Series B Hercules?? Blake has called this an OC4-A (maybe that was evident from the slide labelling)

I also know of one other (see below) - labelled as an OC46-A - its a loader identical to the regular OC56 above - except it has an original gas-powered 4 cylinder Waukesha - the same as the unit in Oliver 550 tractors  :o
So at least 5 of these were built.
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: oliverchris on August 01, 2013, 06:39:42 PM
Pics of OC46-A experimental tractor
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: oliverchris on August 02, 2013, 06:39:33 PM
Apologies for the edits. I'm updating this as I discover more.
This machine has some visual design in common with the Oliver OC-9 (bodywork, drawbar, gas tank & cockpit/seat area, levers/pedals are all similar. However, there's far less that's similar when you take a look at their operation.
Comparisons with OC-9:
The OC46-A pictured above has a three speed transmission. OC-9 is a four speed.
OC-9: Manual shift lever (to driver's left) selects 1st and 3rd in forward position, selects 2nd and 4th in back position. OC46-A: Has a regular shifter for the three gears on the right-hand side (similar to OC4's). Manual shift lever on left-hand side is a hi-lo range selector for all three gears, giving 6 forward and 6 reverse gears!
OC-9: Power-shift lo-hi range lever (in between brake levers). In forward position will select between 2nd & 4th; rear position selects between 1st & 3rd depending on the position of the manual shift lever (see above). On OC46-A this is the reverser lever - selecting between forward or reverse in all three drive gears. There's no dedicated reverse gear like that found in an OC-4/OC46.
OC-9: Brake levers - both forward drives tractor forwards, using right-foot accelerator pedal to increase speed. Both pulled backwards drives tractor backwards. OC46-A: select forward or reverse via the "power-shift" lever. Throttle is on dash like an OC-4/OC-46.
Both models: Gradual turn is achieved by setting one brake lever in neutral and pulling on the other in direction of turn.
OC-9: the right & left left-foot pedals operate a left or right spot-turn. OC46-A: Has spot-turn braking unit - probably same as those found in OC4's. The single pedal on floor is the clutch pedal. The OC46-A has no 'trans-o-matic' or torque converter.

The serial tag on the OC46-A is a modified OC-9 tag. Serial # is EX-02.
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: oliverchris on August 28, 2013, 01:53:27 AM
I purchased this experimental tractor in Charles City, Iowa (not far from where it was built) a couple of weeks ago. It will be next-up for restoration  :) :)
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: Blake Malkamaki on August 28, 2013, 03:20:49 AM
I'm pretty sure all those tractors were built in Cleveland Chris. I could be wrong, but all the development, testing, etc was all done in Cleveland.
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: oliverchris on August 30, 2013, 01:25:23 AM
Hi Blake. The owner told me he purchased it through his connections at the Charles City factory. The OC4 Series B's were already being built there, so I made the assumption that these potential OC4/OC46 replacements were built there too AFTER the Charles City plant took over crawler production in '62. But I stand to be corrected. I recall that your slides were dated 1961, so that would indeed suggest Cleveland. However, my tractor is not one of the 4 in your slides, so maybe we'll never know  ???
We may know more when we take it apart. I'll have another chat with the man who used it for 60 years.
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: Blake Malkamaki on August 30, 2013, 02:22:03 AM
I'm guessing the man had connections through Charles City, though I doubt it was built there. Perhaps it was delivered to the Charles City plant where they changed engines? Maybe he knows some of that history?

I need to talk with my uncle and see what he knows about them too.
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: oliverchris on August 30, 2013, 02:29:40 PM
I will try to have a chat with him today. In the meantime, here's some footage of the former owner on it.
http://youtu.be/c2vxKqm5vEQ
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: oliverchris on August 30, 2013, 07:36:34 PM
Hi Blake. Just spoke with Gene Rasmussen, the gentleman I purchased it from. He had it for over 50 years working 25 acres. He purchased it from George Gifford who had the contact at the Charles City factory. Sadly, George passed-away soon after buying it from Oliver, and Gene purchased it from the family. Gene thinks this one was sent up to Charles City to have the Waukesha fitted as they were considering various engines at that time.
Gene told me that he had to remove the oil pan to add a new drain plug at the front, as there was a cross member covering the rear factory one! He reckons it was made in the late 50's. He knows of one other guy in Charles City who had a dozer version. He's trying to find out for me if that one might still exist somewhere.
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: Blake Malkamaki on November 01, 2013, 12:17:20 AM
Great information Chris! They probably were already planning on closing the Cleveland plant, so wanted to see if a Waukesha would be a good fit since most of the other Olivers used them. I hope you find the 2nd tractor there!
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: oliverchris on November 05, 2013, 03:59:25 PM
A brief update. I took some casting numbers off the Waukesha engine on my OC46-A and sent them off to the Waukesha Engine Historical Society for their comments.
Here's what they said:
Chris
Wow! The part number you give of 224020 indicates that this is a D189. Checking thru my info I see Waukesha made this in gasoline and Diesel. Do you have a gasoline or a Diesel? Well at any rate there were only 8 of each made in 1961. You have a very rare engine. The XT171 I would hazard a guess at as being an experimental number that Oliver assigned as it is not a Waukesha number. What I can say is that this is a 4 cylinder 3-7/8" bore x 4" stroke 189 cid engine. This is the only 4 cylinder Waukesha engine with that bore and stroke. Take extreme care with the crankshaft you will not be able to find another one. I do see several 6 cylinder models with that bore & stroke. Not at all sure what if any parts would be interchangeable. The F283 gas and Diesel was a 6 cylinder engine with the same bore & stroke made in the 1960's. The pistons and rods might be interchangeable.
The VR220 is a 3-7/8" by 4.665" engine that was not made until 1979 so I doubt if there is any parts swapping there.
Not at all sure if we have a manual for this engine. Typically engine manuals for Oliver engines were published by Oliver and not Waukesha.
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: Blake Malkamaki on November 06, 2013, 01:42:49 AM
Hey Chris... what they said didn't come through in your post.
Title: Re: Pictures posted of the OC-5 experimental tractor
Post by: oliverchris on November 06, 2013, 11:55:58 PM
That's weird, Blake. I can read it on my computer.
I'll modify it now, without italics, in case that's causing it?