Cletrac.org

Cletrac Tractor Discussion => HG, OC-3, OC-4 & General => Topic started by: jeffesonm on July 24, 2012, 06:00:23 PM

Title: OC3 with IXB3 has metal in the oil pan
Post by: jeffesonm on July 24, 2012, 06:00:23 PM
Well I changed the oil in the OC3 and found some pieces that I think are in the wrong spot :(

(http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/jeffesonm/IMG_0254.jpg)

(http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/jeffesonm/IMG_0253.jpg)

Stuff in the back looks like maybe pieces of bearings?  How about that big chunk in the front?  And the transparent looking things on the dime?

I just got the tractor two weeks back.  Starts right up.  Drove it around the yard just a little and it seemed to run okay.  Brought into the garage to change the fluids and here we are.  This is my first tractor and there's probably a lesson to be learned here, but either way this is what I've got.  What's next?  Compression test?  Drop oil pan?  Fill it back up with oil and drive it off a cliff?
Title: Re: OC3 with IXB3 has metal in the oil pan
Post by: oliverchris on July 24, 2012, 08:41:17 PM
Not much help, but the translucent bits could be bits off an old screwdriver handle? Or Amber ;D
You were lucky to find a dime in there  ;)
Title: Re: OC3 with IXB3 has metal in the oil pan
Post by: hotratz on July 25, 2012, 01:28:56 PM
Quote from: oliverchris on July 24, 2012, 08:41:17 PM
 
You were lucky to find a dime in there  ;)

;D


I'd be tempted to pull the pan and some bearing caps and do a general inspection.
Title: Re: OC3 with IXB3 has metal in the oil pan
Post by: John Schwiebert on July 26, 2012, 08:51:00 AM
The parts look like cast aluminum. I would think part of a piston skirt.
Title: Re: OC3 with IXB3 has metal in the oil pan
Post by: jeffesonm on August 05, 2012, 04:21:25 PM
Okay so I did a compression test and the results are below.  First time so hopefully I did it right... pulled all the plugs and opened the throttle all the way. Put the tester in cylinder 1 (nearest to radiator), and cranked 4-5 times using starter.  Repeat for remaining cylinders.

(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-bSGAEmdb1cA/UB6V78WQOkI/AAAAAAAAAyc/6GTHXyY_8GU/s640/IMAG1263.jpg)


Based on everything I've read, 110 is a good number and %10 variance between min and max is good as well.  So that all seems pretty good.

Now onto the plugs.  Again, first tractor here, so I'm going entirely based on internet searching.  But it looks like 1 and 2 are good, 3 has a little oil, and 4 is pretty well oil fouled.

(https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-EEPb-QgfpO4/UB6V4UqM8PI/AAAAAAAAAx8/49R124EoBxU/s400/IMG_0543.JPG)

(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eaBVCF6iGu8/UB6V4ioODkI/AAAAAAAAAyE/FBvErzN7akc/s400/IMG_0544.JPG)

(https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-eLRs6Hd3PJc/UB6V5roHwUI/AAAAAAAAAyM/XyycBfWih3I/s400/IMG_0545.JPG)

(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6fdHPw68G0o/UB6V6pQSb1I/AAAAAAAAAyU/mXpt1pWPUOQ/s400/IMG_0546.JPG)