I have what i THINK IS A HG WITH A TRASCO AUXILLIARY TRANSMISSON. bOTH IDENTIFICATION PLATES ARE MISSING SO BASED ON COLOR AND THE ENGINE THAT'S MY BEST GUESS.I have 2 questions . The gear shift pattern does not match the pattern in the instruction manual where 2nd and 3rd should be it goes into reverse in both positions and where reverse should be it goes into a forward gear . The gear shift moves freely and there is no grinding going into a gear .Could this be influenced by the auxilliary transmisson. How exactly do you shift the auxilliary transmisson to correctly match it to your regular transmisson. Next if the problem is solely with the regular gear shift what is the best way to open the gear shift and fix the problem. I am new to crawlers and any help would be greatly appreciated
Yes reverse in the aux trans will drive the input shaft in the main trans in reverse . That will make forward gears reverse and the reverse gear forward . I use the tasco reverse to spool out the winch on the OC3 as it makes the pto turn backward too . ;)
Its experienced advice like that 'spooling out the winch' idea that makes this site so useful. Thanks coffeecreek :)
Thanks Chris . Jr I guess I could have read your question better and answered all of it . The front trans ( tasco ) is an H pattern . When we first got the OC3 they had only been shifting the tasco from 1st to reverse and back . Using it like a reverser . The former owner even commented that it was just too slow . With some gentle but firm handling of the shifter we were able to loosen it up enough to get it to go in all the gears . 3rd gear in the front trans will be close to a 1 to 1 ratio and is pretty much the original speeds in the Oliver trans . 2nd and 1st are reduction to the input of the Oliver trans . Reverse will both reduce the input rpm and turn the input shaft backward , causing your problem . Hope that helps .