Ok, I just went through an extensive rebuild on OC-4 3G . And I did replace clutch plates, throwout bearing, pressure plate was in good shape, actually the clutchs were in good wear shape but oil soaked. Here is my delema. I have vertually no adjustment left in my adjustment rod. I dont know if the clutch thickness is wrong as I had my originals sent to re-liner and they sent back different clutchs meeting what seemed to be correct spline and diam. I have been reading the shop manual and noticed the fingers on pressure plate can be adjusted. so , Do I add a length to adjuster rod, (easiest) pull bell housing off and adjust pressure plate fingers, (beyond factory specs) Or continue my search for clutch plate thicknes, remove clutch plates and measure/replace, the reason I am in question is it seems the throwout actually rides on pressure plate when pressure is realeased. My concern is premature wear or un-even wear if I add adjuster bolt extension or adjust fingers beyond specs.
Looks like every one that looks at this does not want to stick their foot in there mouth. You have a double plate Dana clutch. It is a push clutch unlike the popular EatonSpicer pull clutches. When new linings are installed the release levers will not come out as far as when the clutch is worn out.. As they move back free travel decreases. You have too much free travel. Now I have only done a couple of these and that was years ago.They were used around here to plant funny crops.. Was the flywheel turned? Was the intermediate plate replaced or ground? When did you check the setting on the pressure plate? How much did you set it at? The release levers have a convex radius on the ends?
Ok, No the flywheel was not ground. It was in great shape. No the intermediate was not ground, it to was in great shape , as for setting it? I didnt set any thing, At the time of reinstall I wasnt aware of adjustment being available, I found that through I believe a later service bulletin caused from numerous complaints of not enough adjustment, lol, as for the release levers convex or radius seems to me they were fairly flat I guess perhaps a small radius ( little sign of wear) but at the time of reinstall I didnt pay much attention, after all I was installing new discs and everything looked in good shape, even the throwout but habit is replace it when your there.