Cletrac.org

Cletrac Tractor Discussion => All Models Except HG, OC-3, OC-4 & General => Topic started by: BUDDY on September 09, 2002, 10:32:14 PM

Title: OLIVER DOZER
Post by: BUDDY on September 09, 2002, 10:32:14 PM
I AM LOOKING AT AN OLIVER DOZER BUT WANT TO KNOW HOW HARD PARTS WILL BE TO GET BEFORE I BUY IT. IT IS MODEL DDH WITH SERIAL # 2L5272. CAN YOU  TELL ME WHAT YEAR IT IS AND ANY OTHER INFORMATION. THANKS:(:)
Title: OLIVER DOZER
Post by: BUDDY on September 09, 2002, 10:45:47 PM
BLAKE, SORRY THIS IS MY FIRST TIME TO POST. I ALREADY POSTED ON ONE OF THE TOPICS, BUT I WILL ASK YOU HERE ALSO.
I AM LOOKING AT AN OLIVER DOZER,I THINK, BUT I AM NOT SURE. IT IS A DDH WITH SERIAL # 2L5272. I COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WITH THIS SERIAL NUMBER . CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT YEAR IT IS ? IF YOU HAVE OTHER INFORMATION ON IT IT WOULD BE A GREAT HELP.
Title: Oliver Dozer
Post by: Robert Barbour on September 10, 2002, 01:25:49 AM
Your DD is a Cletrac as it was made in 1940. If it has a track center to center distance if 48" it is a DD if it is 61" its a DDH. It would have a Hercules 6 cylinder DRX engine of 474 cu in. Transmission has 4 speeds forward and 2 reverse.
Title: Oliver Dozer
Post by: Robert Barbour on September 10, 2002, 01:29:09 AM
Sorry miss read that serial number as a 1L and it is a 2L so its a 1951. The rest is the same.
Title: OLIVER DOZER
Post by: BUDDY on September 10, 2002, 01:35:55 PM
ROBERT, THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION. THIS TRACTOR IS IN REAL GOOD
SHAPE. I THINK I CAN GET IT FIRED UP WITHOUT TOO MUCH TROUBLE.
THESE HERCULES ENGINS, ARE THEY THE SAME ONES THE MILITARY PUT
IN SOME OF THEIR RIGS DURING WWII? THE UNDERCARRIGE SEEMS TO BE
IN GOOD SHAPE, BUT IT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR ABOUT 20 YEARS. CAN YOU
OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW GIVE ME A CLUE WHAT TO LOOK FOR BEFORE I MOVE
IT TOO FAR, I WOULD NOT WANT TO TEAR SOMETHING UP BY MAKING A OR
TOO MANY "GREENHORN" MISTAKES. OH, AND BLAKE IF YOU ARE READING, I
HAVE READ MOST OF THE DISCUSSIONS ON THIS FORUM IN THE LAST TWO MONTHS
AND I THINK IT IS GREAT. I AM IN TEXAS AND THERE IS NOT MUCH IN THE
WAY OF INFO ABOUT OLIVERS OR CLETRACS DOWN HERE. AGAIN THANKS FOR THE HELP!
Title: Oliver Dozer
Post by: Robert Barbour on September 10, 2002, 07:49:09 PM
If its been sitting for 20 years you have some work ahead of you!!  Reproduction manuals are available from Jensales. Thats the first thing to get.  Parts are hard to find, some surplus engine parts may be available but not cheap. Gaskets can be specially made.  If the engine turns, then I would take out the injectors and put  some oil in each cylinder and trun it over and what to see if any fuel comes from the injectors.  The injector pump is an expensive item and may not work after 20 years. If it turns free and the fuel system works. Try starting it and if it goes change all the oils and filters, grease everything and you have yourself a tractor!  The military used a lot of Hercules engines but mostly gas only a few diesels and I don't know of any place that the DRX engine was used.  The Blocks were usually different due to different accessorys added, but most internal parts were the same. On gas engines the camshafts and distributors were different as the military ones ran at higher speeds.
Title:
Post by: Blake Malkamaki on September 10, 2002, 08:46:05 PM
Buddy,

Thanks for the compliments on the site! I try my best and know I have much work to do to it. I'm behind on pictures that need uploaded to the Album.

BTW, try not to use all caps - it makes it hard to read.

As far as your DD sitting for 20 years - 20 years is not much for a diesel. I would try to turn the engine over either by hand first to make sure everything is free, or at least be easy with the starter and have someone watch to make sure nothing is stuck.

You may have to tow it to start it the first time - these engine are not easy starting even after sitting a day. Ether is probably going to be a requirement. Make sure the engine is turning over good and you're getting a little smoke from fuel before you give her a shot of ether. Just a little shot is all! And don't stop cranking until you make sure the ether is out of the system or it fires.

Hopefully it has had fuel in it all along - that will protect the injection system. I have fuel in my 67 Mercedes from 1988 and it starts and runs each year.

Before you try to start it at all, I would pull the oil drain plug and check to see if there's water or condesation in the bottom. If the oil looks good, I would run it on it and then change it when it's hot. Also check for water in the bottom of the transmission, differential case and final drives.

The tracks might be stuck - if so, rock it back and forth slowly. Or, if it won't run, tow it each way a little until it breaks free.

Keep us posted,

Blake
Title: OLIVER DOZER
Post by: BUDDY on September 10, 2002, 09:50:31 PM
Thanks to both of you for the info. Sorry for
the all caps, did'nt know. I will keep you guys
informed on the progress and will try to get a
picture posted. By the way i do have one more
question. This Oliver is battleship gray faded
blue/green. Was this a standard color for this
model or maybe old military?
Title: Re: OLIVER DOZER
Post by: shapecutter on September 05, 2010, 12:21:13 AM
Hi , can anyone help iam looking for engine  bearings and parts for a cletrac dozer model djxc, they are impossible to find here in Australia, please reply to waggaweldingshop@bigpond.com with any contacts you may have for parts Cheers Bill..
Title: Re: OLIVER DOZER
Post by: ianoz on September 05, 2010, 12:57:33 PM
Hi Bill ,Welcome to the forum . Good to see another aussie here . Ian .
Title: Re: OLIVER DOZER
Post by: Joshua_d on September 06, 2010, 02:06:52 AM
welcome if you are ever chasing parts i know of a bloke in Bundaberg who has 2 engines and running gear for a DDH